Testers Needed

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
rpollack

Re: Testers Needed

Post by rpollack » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:37 am

Quick Start is specifically intended for people who are new to this. The feedback has been very positive.

We will be releasing a separate app to very quickly set the z offset. That should be up this week. Your feedback is welcome as we get this dialed-in.

If you think we need to change or improve something, as specifically as possible, just post here how it should be improved.

Rick

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:47 am

Great rick! Cant wait to check that out.

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:47 am

You guys are on the opposite end of spectrum from where we spend most of our support time...

PcS

Post by PcS » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:01 pm

Thanks Rick ! Cant wait to test out the quick adjustment app. I like the software and think it is a great idea and a huge help to new users. The hardware updates have been amazing and really added to the value of the machine. Keep up the good work !!!

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:11 pm

So in order to use this we would need a new spider it seems, correct?

I liked the video, and can say it certainly would have helped me a few years ago when I first opened my printer!!

PcS

Post by PcS » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:34 pm

Short answer Yes. If you want to use the software fully. You could just print a bottom end stop mount and move your end stop to the bottom and flash the bottom end stop firmware...and if you are mechanically inclined modify your own spider. I have not yet pulled out my own spider and verified it can be done ...but from memory it seems possible.

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:04 am

Alright, this has been quite a while in the works... First, a couple general notes. PcS - the first step is to check the starting height, as, as Rick said, the QS app main process is mostly for new users - we check the starting height, then check if the bed is level; if both are good, continue; if SH is incorrect, set it again; if bed is not level, level the bed and set the SH.

jimc I believe - yes, that temperature restriction on the bed checking step is mostly to prevent injury and damage to that feeler gauge.

scampa - you don't strictly need the new spider, but you will need the Z Max endstop; if you don't have either, the QuickStart app currently doesn't really provide any new functionality over S3D/Pronterface/etc.

So, general notes on V1.0.0, compared to what you guys had been testing before (for clarification, as I've seen discussion on some already):

- Biggest change - the entire UI has been made scaleable in multiple ways. First, the app can be resized and maximized, and all text and controls will scale with it (so the quickest test if everything is too small would be to just maximize the window). Second, to account for even more temperamental DPI settings (Linux especially lets you change DPI on the fly, without letting GUI programs know), there is an Edit, Adjust Font Size menu (with keyboard shortcuts) that will let you scale the font size of all text elements independent of the window size or scale; obviously, this can be used to scale the text to a ludicrous size, so should really only be needed if the calculated scaled size is a bit off on your setup. (I saw several of you guys commenting that it works well, which is good to hear X) )

- The connection process has been strengthened - you'll only see a Connected message if the connection succeeds, and you'll be alerted if the connection fails (after a certain period, depending on what you were doing).

- The leveling and starting height process has been refined - the basic steps are the same, but the actual process has been reduced to an initial check of the starting height and bed level with the feeler gauge, and then only adjusting one or both depending on what is needed (if the bed is level but starting height is incorrect, only adjust starting height; if bed is not level, level the bed and then adjust starting height).

- The starting height and bed level adjustment processes now respect the current offset and do not reset it - those with custom length extruders or custom bed surfaces should not have an issue with headcrashes with this setup. That being said, take any precautions you feel appropriate until comfortable with where the app will move with your specific setup.

- The entire process has been brought more in line with introducing new customers to the printer, while gently walking them through checking that the bed is level and starting height is correct; the new leveling system should remain stable during shipping, so a brand new machine should just need to confirm everything is still good and then start printing. Text instructions have been clarified, and an accompanying video is in production (which will be linked directly from the app, so users can follow along).

And now a rougher list of changes from 1.0.0 to 1.1.2-Beta:

Various bugfixes - an unplugged thermistor would cause the connection message to popup, as the filters caught the "start" part of "restart" in that error message; SD file listing works better; fixed UI in Linux (aside from some of the scaling stuff that is window manager etc. dependent); prevent timeouts when using set and wait heating commands; added more useful print-finished behavior, and then fixed it to work properly if the computer went to sleep while the print was running (mostly an issue on Mac);

- Improved the general connection and monitoring side of things, so should be more stable.

- Added an autoconnect option, again primarily for new users - gets a list of connected serial devices, and tries to connect to them counting up; if you have more than one printer connected, or you would prefer to choose what printer to connect to, you can still of course use the Manual connection.

- Changed the Full Controls options in the print screen, so that you have full temperature controls and not just a material selection.

- Added setup instructions and scripts for using the App on Linux (tested thoroughly on Linux Mint 17); zip folder includes the three packages that should be required and a simple script to install them, as well as a script to change the permissions of /dev/ttyACM0 (the most common assignment for a connected printer that I've seen) so that all users can access it without needing to be added to the dialout group (a temporary option until the user is added to the group and logs out/logs in again).

- Many little changes to UI and text, and lots of code changes to make it easier to maintain and improve.

I believe those are all the major points from the pre-release to the version I've posted on Dropbox; if I don't hear anything terrible about 1.1.2-Beta in the next few days, we'll be posting it on the website as the official version for new users (probably as 1.1.3 or higher, to maintain consistency with semantic versioning v2.0.0).

I also have an initial version of the standalone Z Adjust program here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4et2bvwry3bc ... J5-Ja?dl=0 . I saw you guys talking about simply adjusting the Z offset with M206 by hand - that is perfectly valid, though if there's a simple process that you think would work well for manual adjustments (I've considered gcode and an app screen that runs a bunch of concentric circles or squares, letting you adjust the offset between each run until you're happy, then saving the new offset), let me know.

M2 QuickStart app v1.1.2-Beta: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8md19578rx17 ... YTkAa?dl=0 .

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:49 am

sweet! i downloaded the windows and mac version. ill try these out tomorrow evening. if you have a stand alone z height program that is super. would love to try that out as soon as you can post it up and its ready.

PcS

Post by PcS » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:25 pm

I second the stand alone z height. If I ever get time I would like to make a thumb screw adjustable end stop. It seems the fastest way for advanced users who are constantly changing things. However I totally understand the new software and think it is a huge step forward for new users. Wish it existed when I got started. Great job so far.

sprior

Post by sprior » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:43 pm

I'd also like a standalone z-height program, but my wish would be for it to be written in something like Python for Linux so there would be no issue running it on a Raspberry Pi. The current new setup program is written in something else and distributed in binary form so it's not portable.