Testers Needed

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
sthone

Re: Testers Needed

Post by sthone » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:11 pm

My problem was I'm running a g-code that was sliced with an earlier version of S3D and if I reslice it with the newest version it slices it different where the layer over support is running in a different direction than before (front to back vs left to right) even though all the setting are the same and it just doesn't lay down clean over the support now. Also for this particular part I require a little extra squish into the build surface too. I even tried to manually edit the z-offset in the old g-code but for some strange reason it doesn't affect anything... hard to explain I guess. Don't get me wrong for the everyday user I think the software is awesome and a lot easier and a big improvement over the old method.

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:06 pm

Forgot to ask... has the firmware changed at all since the beta or was it just the software side of things?

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:01 pm

Have you tried turning your model 90 degrees? Or changing the order of the infill offset angles?

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:01 pm

Never thought about that... I'm going to reflash the firmware tonight and try the software again so I'll give that a try after I get everything set back up.

Thanks

sthone

Post by sthone » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:36 pm

I got everything set back up like it should be, the new software works great and the process seems a little more stream lined now. There was the annoying fact the new software doesn't allow you to continue past a certain step if your bed or hot end is hot so you have to wait till it cools down (I guess this is for safety reasons or they don't want newbies melting the plastic feeler gauge.) so if you don't get it right the first time your in for a wait.

I went back and read through this entire thread again (I must have missed this the first time around) but jsc's tidbit below turned out to be just what I needed. I don't know if it was addressed in the new software but this is the easiest way to adjust the z-height a bit without going through the whole leveling process. So... Thanks jsc
jsc wrote:
Read out the EEPROM parameters (M501) and search for M206. If it is set, then you can adjust it using
M206 Z[new value]
M500 to save

The value is the offset of the homing switch trip location to your desired Z=0. If you want to the nozzle gap to be lower (moving the bed up), you would add the desired change to the old value. If you want more nozzle gap, moving the bed lower, you would subtract the desired change.

PcS

Post by PcS » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:48 pm

Would this not essentially be the same as altering the offset for z in S3D ?

sthone

Post by sthone » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:57 pm

PcS wrote:Would this not essentially be the same as altering the offset for z in S3D ?
Pretty much... it achieves the same result but this writes it to the firmware so it's more like adjusting the old z-stop bolt. Doing it in S3D would mean having to change every profile. (Of course any change to the z height probably means adjusting your S3D offsets anyway. :D)

I'd say for the average user this isn't a issue but for me when I'm trying to do weird mods (like my paste extruder) I need to change the initial z height for homing before the g-code even comes into play.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:20 pm

yeah I feel the same way. the software is great but to make those z adjustments is a pia. even going back and doing the offset and reslicing and uploading. that blows when I was making gap tweaks in well under 5 sec, click print and I'm off and running again. all in all its is a nice setup though. love the spider and how the whole thing works just that quick adjustment was the only thing I miss. I was thinking maybe a different bracket for the switch. maybe a 2 piece design that slid together on a dovetail with an adjustment screw that would raise and lower the switch slightly. maybe ill get to that one of these days

sprior

Post by sprior » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:55 pm

I've been under the assumption that sooner or later someone would add just the Z adjustment piece elsewhere, maybe Octoprint (which I use) or S3D. Maybe even a portable command line utility.

PcS

Post by PcS » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:35 am

jimc wrote:yeah I feel the same way. the software is great but to make those z adjustments is a pia. even going back and doing the offset and reslicing and uploading. that blows when I was making gap tweaks in well under 5 sec, click print and I'm off and running again. all in all its is a nice setup though. love the spider and how the whole thing works just that quick adjustment was the only thing I miss. I was thinking maybe a different bracket for the switch. maybe a 2 piece design that slid together on a dovetail with an adjustment screw that would raise and lower the switch slightly. maybe ill get to that one of these days
That is exactly what I was thinking jim !!! Hurry up all ready !!!! lol
I installed the new software and was surprised at the changes in it. I liked the flow of the old one better and will keep it around to use. Seems backwards to set z height then level.