Testers Needed

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
jprochnow

Re: Testers Needed

Post by jprochnow » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:38 pm

It's not on page one unless I missed it.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:42 pm

No, it's on page 23. Josh's post.

PcS

Post by PcS » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:23 am

Finally got a chance...and or reason to try joshs quick set program. Perfect sir !!! Thanks a ton !!! Quick simple app to tweak offset .

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:48 pm

V1.1.8-Beta is now available on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rziyswefnxcg ... _S_ua?dl=0 . http://makergear.wikidot.com/mgsoftware has the changelog, copied below for convenience:

Beta release:
- Fixed a bug with multiple Starting Height adjustments done through a single instance of the app.
- Implemented command logging - through the Edit menu, there are 6 logging levels to choose from (default is level 3, where all sent and received commands are saved; all levels are fairly similar at the moment), and an option to Export Log. The log is stored as a 10,000 line circular buffer - the last 10,000 commands sent or received will be stored and able to be exported, so once the buffer is full the oldest entries will start to be overwritten.
- Added step labels to the Bed Leveling and Starting Height Adjustment processes, so users have a better idea where in the process they are.
- Added restrictions to the Bed Leveling and Starting Height Adjustment processes, to prevent double-clicking of the Next button and thus skipping important steps.

Specific things that I'd appreciate feedback on:

- Logging levels, what all would be valuable to log?
- Log size - a fairly average full (10,000 entry) log exports to a .txt file of ~470kb, which compresses to ~68kb with 7zip's default Zip profile. Should this be any larger, or would being able to configure the size be worthwhile?

As always, please let me know of any issues/questions/concerns/suggestions.

insta

Post by insta » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:45 am

Josh wrote:V1.1.8-Beta is now available on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rziyswefnxcg ... _S_ua?dl=0 . http://makergear.wikidot.com/mgsoftware has the changelog, copied below for convenience:

Beta release:
- Fixed a bug with multiple Starting Height adjustments done through a single instance of the app.
- Implemented command logging - through the Edit menu, there are 6 logging levels to choose from (default is level 3, where all sent and received commands are saved; all levels are fairly similar at the moment), and an option to Export Log. The log is stored as a 10,000 line circular buffer - the last 10,000 commands sent or received will be stored and able to be exported, so once the buffer is full the oldest entries will start to be overwritten.
- Added step labels to the Bed Leveling and Starting Height Adjustment processes, so users have a better idea where in the process they are.
- Added restrictions to the Bed Leveling and Starting Height Adjustment processes, to prevent double-clicking of the Next button and thus skipping important steps.

Specific things that I'd appreciate feedback on:

- Logging levels, what all would be valuable to log?
- Log size - a fairly average full (10,000 entry) log exports to a .txt file of ~470kb, which compresses to ~68kb with 7zip's default Zip profile. Should this be any larger, or would being able to configure the size be worthwhile?

As always, please let me know of any issues/questions/concerns/suggestions.
470kb? lol what. god forbid you take up an entire cluster on my harddrive.

Remove the "log level" option entirely, default it to 6. Log everything, unless I specify something on the command line. Anybody who understands "log level" understands command line arguments.

Use a logging framework that does log rolling by size or date. Store the logs in the users %Documents% folder, so they're easily found and pruned as needed. Go hog-wild -- who cares if you store 500MB of logs, if they're easily deleted? I run SSDs on all my boxes, and even I can spare a few dozen gigs for logfiles. They'll compress nicely at any size, too. Nobody who can afford an M2 is using a P3 with a 6GB hard drive running Win98, we all have decent machines with usable amounts of storage.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:57 pm

insta, that's a fair point. My main concern with the log size is transmission - a comprehensive log only helps if a user can actually send it to us for review. I'll have to revisit automatic compression, it seems...

General - it doesn't look like I can track Dropbox downloads, so - has anyone downloaded and used V1.1.8-Beta? If so, I would appreciate feedback on whether it's ready for a more public release.

insta

Post by insta » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:13 am

Josh wrote:insta, that's a fair point. My main concern with the log size is transmission - a comprehensive log only helps if a user can actually send it to us for review. I'll have to revisit automatic compression, it seems...

General - it doesn't look like I can track Dropbox downloads, so - has anyone downloaded and used V1.1.8-Beta? If so, I would appreciate feedback on whether it's ready for a more public release.
Text compresses extremely well, even using built-in compression utilities :)
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org