Quieter Fans

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
psd

Re: Quieter Fans

Post by psd » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:08 am

Super thanks
- peter,

innovative product designer and tinkerer

www.petersolomondesign.com

psd

Post by psd » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:29 pm

IMG_5950.jpg
IMG_5951.jpg
Hello Group,
urgent question:

If I am replacing Power supply fan with a Noctua,
the power supply fan has red and black leads. the noctua has black, yellow, green and blue.

I assume the two blacks are common, which color on the nocuta corresponds to the red?

also which way should the fan face outward? With sticker outward or inward?

Please help soon as my machine is dismantled and out of use until I resolve!
- peter,

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:01 pm

Fan should exhaust - so judging by the photo it looks like sticker out.
Yellow lead is typically for tach, which does not apply.

Editing this because I didn't see the new fan has 4 leads. Don't know on that one.

psd

Post by psd » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:04 pm

Thanks I just resolved, I realized I purchased the wrong fan, but I had one of the correct ones with only two leads out. All is working. Thank you
- peter,

Schmee323

Post by Schmee323 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:00 am

zemlin wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:50 pm
My fan mods - I've had my M2 for just under a month. My approach to quieting the fans was to replace them with larger fans that run slower. Both the bed fan and the electronics fans were replaced with 80mmx15mm thick 24V fans. I just bought cheapo fans on eBay.

I made a duct/mount for the bed fan to bring the air flow down to 40mm wide. I put a honeycomb flow straightener which made a big difference in keeping the flow directed at the nozzle area rather than blowing off to the side. I have also learned over the years that having a fan grill too close to the fan blades is a source of noise, so my grills are offset from the fan blades by 1.5mm-2mm, depending on the fan size. I did not slow this fan, since it is adjustable already in the software. I did, however, put a .47 uf capacitor in series with the fan to quiet PWM ring. The duct is mostly a .75mm thin wall to keep the weight down. Initially I made a shallower duct that kept the fan much closer to the rail, but the steep angles in the transition caused airflow problems.

IMG_1880.JPG

IMG_1886.JPG

For the electronics enclosure, I took a rather round-about approach, but since my machine is still under warranty I did not want to cut metal just yet. I printed a plenum that hangs off the side of the enclosure. Mounting the fan right under the Y-table on the printer would have really restricted the area available for air flow, so I moved it out to the front of the machine where I could put more space under the fan. Once warranty runs out I will probably relocate this fan into the enclosure - if there is room. To slow this fan it has a 120 ohm 5W resistor in series with it. Moves a lot more air than the little squirt that was in the box, but is almost silent. The resistor is mounted inside the plenum so it doesn't add any heat to the electronics enclosure and gets good airflow to keep it cool. 5W is much larger than it needs to be - but the resistors were cheap.

IMG_1882.JPG

I also put a 12V 80mm fan on the power supply - this is just stuck on top of the internal enclosure with a simple adapter I printed out - I used two of the 120 ohm resistors in parallel to slow this fan. I will relocate this one for sure once I can cut metal on this machine.
Hey zemlin,
I love this idea of putting the 80mm fan on the electronics box!!! Any chance you have the step file for this? I have done a complete noctua fan replacement but am waiting on some step down converters to bring the 24V fan supply on the electronics and extruder fans down to 12V. I have them in series at the moment, but they sometimes wont start. I assume that these fans are also pwm controlled. Otherwise they should theoretically run. Anyway, let me know, and keep up the good work!

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:03 am

Zipped step file attached.
There are a couple square bosses that hang from the upper housing. Those are for a ceramic resistor I used to slow the fan. You can remove those if you have other plans electrically.
This attached to the grill features on the electronics box with over-sized washers to cover the gap. I might have printed stepped washers. I used #4-40 screws. There are slots to house hex nuts. #4-40 screws also screw the halves of the housing together. M3 would work in the same holes.
Capture.JPG
Attachments
Zemlin-lowerfanhousingassy_asm.zip
(358.78 KiB) Downloaded 454 times