Will this probe work for the auto-levelling?

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
insta

Re: Will this probe work for the auto-levelling?

Post by insta » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:29 pm

Just pulled off a near bed-sized 0.1mm layer, 100% starting height/width print with minimal fuss!
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:48 pm

insta wrote:Just pulled off a near bed-sized 0.1mm layer, 100% starting height/width print with minimal fuss!
Well that's a pretty good indicator that it is doing its job and that the system you are using works. Put in an order for a couple of sheets and will be interested to see how the buildtak is.

ryaneb85

Post by ryaneb85 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:55 pm

willnewton wrote: -On completion, go to your computer printer communication window and send G29 S0 or just G29. It should spit back an array of numbers at you. If it doesn't or says "Mesh leveling not installed", it didn't work.
Will, I'm getting "Mesh bed leveling not active" despite enabling MANUAL_BED_LEVELING and MESH_BED_LEVELING. Any ideas? If I enter G29 S1, it seems to go through the complete probing process, but it doesn't pause at each probe point to allow for manual adjusting of the z height, it just carries straight through to the end.

Ryan

insta

Post by insta » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:27 am

ryaneb85 wrote:
willnewton wrote: -On completion, go to your computer printer communication window and send G29 S0 or just G29. It should spit back an array of numbers at you. If it doesn't or says "Mesh leveling not installed", it didn't work.
Will, I'm getting "Mesh bed leveling not active" despite enabling MANUAL_BED_LEVELING and MESH_BED_LEVELING. Any ideas? If I enter G29 S1, it seems to go through the complete probing process, but it doesn't pause at each probe point to allow for manual adjusting of the z height, it just carries straight through to the end.

Ryan
What firmware?

ryaneb85

Post by ryaneb85 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:38 am

insta wrote:
What firmware?
I pinched the copy that you posted at this link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B10f0 ... 3lzTkFjSVE

I'm in work and can't remember the version. Disabled LCD etc, just can;t get mesh working.

insta

Post by insta » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:46 pm

Yeah I hacked that firmware all up. It requires a probe on the Z min endstop.

ryaneb85

Post by ryaneb85 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:59 pm

ok, that'll be why! I'm trying to configure 1.1-RC5 now and will let you know how I get on, but that Z probe bit is making me scratch my head. This is the bit i'm stuck on:

//============================= Z Probe Options =============================
//===========================================================================

// Enable Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP to use _both_ a Z Probe and a Z-min-endstop on the same machine.
// With this option the Z_MIN_PROBE_PIN will only be used for probing, never for homing.
//
// *** PLEASE READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BELOW FOR SAFETY! ***
//
// To continue using the Z-min-endstop for homing, be sure to disable Z_SAFE_HOMING.
// Example: To park the head outside the bed area when homing with G28.
//
// To use a separate Z probe, your board must define a Z_MIN_PROBE_PIN.
//
// For a servo-based Z probe, you must set up servo support below, including
// NUM_SERVOS, Z_ENDSTOP_SERVO_NR and SERVO_ENDSTOP_ANGLES.
//
// - RAMPS 1.3/1.4 boards may be able to use the 5V, GND, and Aux4->D32 pin.
// - Use 5V for powered (usu. inductive) sensors.
// - Otherwise connect:
// - normally-closed switches to GND and D32.
// - normally-open switches to 5V and D32.
//
// Normally-closed switches are advised and are the default.
//
// The Z_MIN_PROBE_PIN sets the Arduino pin to use. (See your board's pins file.)
// Since the RAMPS Aux4->D32 pin maps directly to the Arduino D32 pin, D32 is the
// default pin for all RAMPS-based boards. Some other boards map differently.
// To set or change the pin for your board, edit the appropriate pins_XXXXX.h file.
//
// WARNING:
// Setting the wrong pin may have unexpected and potentially disastrous consequences.
// Use with caution and do your homework.
//
//#define Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP

// Enable Z_MIN_PROBE_USES_Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_PIN to use the Z_MIN_PIN for your Z_MIN_PROBE.
// The Z_MIN_PIN will then be used for both Z-homing and probing.
//#define Z_MIN_PROBE_USES_Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_PIN

// To use a probe you must enable one of the two options above!

// This option disables the use of the Z_MIN_PROBE_PIN
// To enable the Z probe pin but disable its use, uncomment the line below. This only affects a
// Z probe switch if you have a separate Z min endstop also and have activated Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP above.
// If you're using the Z MIN endstop connector for your Z probe, this has no effect.
//#define DISABLE_Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP

I'm assuming that I just keep all of it commented out as I have my probe connected to the normal z-stop. I will try it when I get home and see what breaks..

ryaneb85

Post by ryaneb85 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:32 pm

Ok, I am literally pulling my hair out trying to get mesh bed leveling up and running. I think I've gotten to the bottom of the Marlin related issues and I can successfully run G29 S1, hit G29 and it spits back the readings as it should. A quick M500 and it saves the values to EEPROM. However, when I go to start a print, the Z height seems really wrong. It starts printing in the "air" as though there is a z-offset of some sort driving the nozzle away from the bed. I have no offset set in S3D, so I have no idea why this is happening. The only thing I can think that causing this is the "#define MESH_HOME_SEARCH_Z 4" line in Marlin. However, i've played with this number and even set it to 0, but I'm still getting the same problem.

Will, Insta, do you know what I may have missed? Is there an offset value hidden somewhere that needs to be tweaked?

Ryan

insta

Post by insta » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:33 am

I had that for awhile... I "fixed it" by putting a G92 right before my print started. I'd do something like G92 Z7.9 (which was my measured offset)

ryaneb85

Post by ryaneb85 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:48 pm

when you say a while, does that mean you eventually fixed it, or you "fixed" it with a G92? I'm assuming the G92 should be inserted just before the nozzle purge, or are you putting it straight after your G28?

Thanks for the help