tenative test for mesh leveling

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
willnewton

Re: tenative test for mesh leveling

Post by willnewton » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:08 pm

Jules, I was editing my post when you replied. So the quote is a mismatch. :)

Your reply is exactly why I was editing my post. This new tweak is great, but there needs to be some expectation management for those just being introduced to it. It is not a plug and play feature yet and you should have a deeper understanding of how and why this works before jumping in.

That is why I recommend just getting the most basic auto level running first before integrating mesh leveling. Each step builds on the knowledge gained from the previous one. Just getting the induction probe installed and triggering is an adventure all it's own.

Insta's bed mods in combination with this feature should yield some sweet results!
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:20 pm

willnewton wrote:......Guys, this is good stuff, but it is not a simple matter of changing firmware and having magic happen. There is a going to be a lot of variation depending on probe type, probe mounting locations, and machine setup. By using someone else's firmware without understanding how it works, you can damage your machine. This is NOT universal firmware and it is in beta.

You need to have an understanding of how to wire, mount, and do the firmware setup for YOUR induction probe, not anyone else's. Different probes use different settings. Even if you use the same probe and same mounting, you will need different settings because your probe is highly unlikely to be screwed in at the exact height that another user has.

It is not too hard to get it straight, but this is not a plug and play modification.

That being said, it is a very sweet mod.
Which is why I haven't jumped on this yet....I need to get my steel plates in hand and then there will be a metric ton of questions for you and insta and tim, as I try to get this going. I'm gonna need to know how to hook things up, where to hook them up, firmware tweaks etc. Because I'll be trying it with a dual, that does not use the Smoothie, without a Vicki, using a redesigned mount for the probe because of the dual, etc. It's not going to be a quickie fix, and I know it.

And my brain is just not doing it's thing right now. Damned bird. :evil:

insta

Post by insta » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:05 pm

The mesh leveling firmware I have right now works if you're not using Viki. Viki code is broken in the newest Marlin.

I plan to eventually offer it as a relatively package deal, with the right firmware, probe, printed parts, steel sheets, and upgrade instructions all in a box for a nominal price.

Hell, maybe I'll make it require a Viki, and sell the whole thing for $100. That way there's only one firmware to maintain.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:10 pm

Good - I'll probably guinea pig. :| zzzzzzzzzz

insta

Post by insta » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:03 pm

Jules wrote:Good - I'll probably guinea pig. :| zzzzzzzzzz
You can use the mesh-leveling firmware right now, seriously. Just set "EXTRUDERS=2", the second temp sensor in the firmware, and comment out the viki. I'll PM you the download link for it if you're interested.

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:31 pm

insta wrote:
You can use the mesh-leveling firmware right now, seriously. Just set "EXTRUDERS=2", the second temp sensor in the firmware, and comment out the viki. I'll PM you the download link for it if you're interested.

Not quite ready to give up my viki for this yet but based on WillN post I thought an lcd interface was mandatory for configuring it.

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:48 pm

Tim wrote:I'm just happy that this feature is finally getting into Marlin. It's been fantastic on the Smoothieboard, but it's a bit over the top to insist that everyone needs to replace their entire electronics board and firmware just to get grid-based correction. But when you think about all the posts on this forum that have been about the plate being bowed, or un-level, and then think about all those problems just. . . going. . . away. . . poof. You know you've gotta have it.
It is one of those features on smoothieboard that you wonder how you survived without it once you have it. i still make a lot of use of a zebra plate, and never think about if its slightly bowed anymore. Glad to see it on marlin.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:22 pm

insta wrote:
Chuckle! I'll wait and purchase your kit with instructions - somebody's got to see if they are follow-able by those of (currently) waaaay below average IQ. :lol:

insta

Post by insta » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:50 pm

Bratag wrote:
insta wrote:

Not quite ready to give up my viki for this yet but based on WillN post I thought an lcd interface was mandatory for configuring it.
I can't run without Viki, so I'm in limbo with this until it's fixed upstream :( we're in the same camp.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:40 am

Jules, you don't have to have the LCD, but it helps.

I mentioned direct entry via G29 codes in response to Ryan 's similar question a few posts down from my tutorial post. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3349&start=10#p22689

But you really just need to refer to the bottom of this post. https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marli ... d-leveling
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites