E3D V6

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
swbluto

Re: E3D V6

Post by swbluto » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:22 pm

jsc wrote:They're not mount compatible, you need a mount designed for the E3D.
Oh, so I got to print one off that's been posted somewhere in this thread. Got it! Thanks. :)

(Lol, found the link. It's the first post of this thread.)

DrRobot

Post by DrRobot » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:48 am

JohnnyRobot wrote:I have, and I've been torn between the two for a while now... Ugg.

What area of Michigan?
I am deciding on which one to get too. My concern is abrasive filament, since E3D has steel nozzel as an option, it won't be a problem. What's the solution to print abrasive filament with V4? Simply replace nozzels when they are broken?

swbluto

Post by swbluto » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:44 am

Ok, got it installed! I had to print off the model 5 different times to get the support generation right(Had to manually do it in S3D) and dimensions /exactly/ correct for screw placement. I also had to use a 5/64" drill bit to enlarge the passage ways for the filament. Anyway, this thing prints out pretty freaking awesome! Starts and stops on a dime, whereas the M2 V3B I had tended to slow to a stop (No doubt why it was so leaky.) Haven't actually /really/ used it yet, but I'm about to. I can tell the thing's huge thermal mass is part of why it's so awesome. Downside is that it takes forever to cool down, but in production, that can be a good thing. :)

swbluto

Post by swbluto » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:03 am

Well, that was short-lived. About halfway through my first print and the printer dings like it's done. I check it and it's not even 20% completed! What the hell? I'm trying to jog the extruder and it appears the extruder motor isn't extruding the plastic filament effectively and there isn't a level of tension that will get it to work properly (I tried, gradually increasing the tension from no tension.). What the hell? I swore I read about this problem somewhere in the FAQ and how it was supposed to be "so rare" and usually happened to bowden users.

Okay, cleaned out the gears (Nothing too out of ordinary from what I could see), let's see if this thing will work better.

Yep, it's working now. Maybe the tension was too high last time and it overheated the gear which started 'kind of' melting the plastic? Anyway, now I have the bare minimum tension necessary.

Well, first print done. Print quality looks AMAZING just like on my other printers. But, for some weird reason, the side of my model is completely caved in but it doesn't look "bad" in doing so. I'm not sure if the extruder has something to do with it, or if it's this Purple Hatchbox ABS I've never really used before on thin walls that's the culprit (Possible high shrink rate). Or maybe my first layer print height is 10% too high? Whatever, it's kind of unusual to see.

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:34 pm

swbluto wrote:Well, that was short-lived. About halfway through my first print and the printer dings like it's done. I check it and it's not even 20% completed! What the hell? I'm trying to jog the extruder and it appears the extruder motor isn't extruding the plastic filament effectively and there isn't a level of tension that will get it to work properly (I tried, gradually increasing the tension from no tension.). What the hell? I swore I read about this problem somewhere in the FAQ and how it was supposed to be "so rare" and usually happened to bowden users.

Okay, cleaned out the gears (Nothing too out of ordinary from what I could see), let's see if this thing will work better.

Yep, it's working now. Maybe the tension was too high last time and it overheated the gear which started 'kind of' melting the plastic? Anyway, now I have the bare minimum tension necessary.

Well, first print done. Print quality looks AMAZING just like on my other printers. But, for some weird reason, the side of my model is completely caved in but it doesn't look "bad" in doing so. I'm not sure if the extruder has something to do with it, or if it's this Purple Hatchbox ABS I've never really used before on thin walls that's the culprit (Possible high shrink rate). Or maybe my first layer print height is 10% too high? Whatever, it's kind of unusual to see.
Glad you have gotten some success. The tension is a tricky one. I have mine set so loose you would think that there is no way it could feed but it does just fine. I find it a bigger issue with PETG and some exotics which seem to be softer and more prone to bulging than say PLA.

swbluto

Post by swbluto » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:34 am

Huh, weird issue here. Started printing some white PLA I have and it seems like the extruder is leaking around the top of the nozzle where it attaches to the heat block? I can't see it leaking, but it seems like a pool of plastic starts forming there which accumulates and gets deposited on my model about an hour into the print, leaving an ugly yellow plastic blob into the print. I'm not having this issue on any of my other printers with this PLA, so I would think this extruder is broke or something? Am I doing something wrong that I need fix?

I'm printing my models in groups of four, so inevitably it seems I get 3 good prints and then 1 bad print with the ugly yellow plastic crap all over it.

Right now I'm playing the game of "Let's see how much plastic junk I can scrape off while it's dancing around.".

Ok, I looked a little more closely and it seems like it's leaking right where the heat break attaches to the heatsink block with the fan on it, the plastic then dribbles down to my extruder which builds up and gets deposited on the print.

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:34 am

swbluto wrote:Huh, weird issue here. Started printing some white PLA I have and it seems like the extruder is leaking around the top of the nozzle where it attaches to the heat block? I can't see it leaking, but it seems like a pool of plastic starts forming there which accumulates and gets deposited on my model about an hour into the print, leaving an ugly yellow plastic blob into the print. I'm not having this issue on any of my other printers with this PLA, so I would think this extruder is broke or something? Am I doing something wrong that I need fix?

I'm printing my models in groups of four, so inevitably it seems I get 3 good prints and then 1 bad print with the ugly yellow plastic crap all over it.

Right now I'm playing the game of "Let's see how much plastic junk I can scrape off while it's dancing around.".

Ok, I looked a little more closely and it seems like it's leaking right where the heat break attaches to the heatsink block with the fan on it, the plastic then dribbles down to my extruder which builds up and gets deposited on the print.
Had this issue - result of me not tightening the heat break after I took apart the hotend. You need to make sure you have that locked down and that the PTFE tube doesn't extend too far and create a gap.

swbluto

Post by swbluto » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:02 am

You're supposed to tighten the heat-break? Lol, didn't see that in the youtube video. (Yep, now I see, lol. Yes, it was fairly loose.)

The youtube video also didn't mention the use of the PTFE tube. Am I supposed to use it on my makergear m2? I thought it was meant for use with 'grabby' filaments like Ninja Flex.

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:17 pm

swbluto wrote:You're supposed to tighten the heat-break? Lol, didn't see that in the youtube video. (Yep, now I see, lol. Yes, it was fairly loose.)

The youtube video also didn't mention the use of the PTFE tube. Am I supposed to use it on my makergear m2? I thought it was meant for use with 'grabby' filaments like Ninja Flex.
The tube should essentially run the entire length of the heatbreak.

swbluto

Post by swbluto » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:48 pm

Eh, I'll install the tube soon enough. Tightened the heat break into the heatsink body, seems like it's still leaking. It appears to be leaking from the connection between the cartridge-heat-block and the heatbreak (It's coming up from the heatblock, which then leaks around its sides and then onto the nozzle which then builds up and gets deposited on my prints). I'm not sure if the tube is going to help that, but I'll have to see.