E3D V6

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
insta

Re: E3D V6

Post by insta » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:28 am

JohnnyRobot wrote:Bummer... I'm Southeast (Rochester)

I was going to ask if I could come over and see the V4 extruder in action. :geek:
video incoming...
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

insta

Post by insta » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:01 am

I lied this print is going like crap don't wanna record it for posterity
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

PcS

Post by PcS » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:13 am

Her is a short video . https://youtu.be/og8drLYZwmo

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:20 pm

Hm. As I'm sure you're aware of by now, the dual v4 uses a 50mm extruder cooling fan, so you're going to have to rework how it is attached. Should be easy enough, though, since my mounting "solution" was a replacement fan non-guard glued to a slot in the shroud.

PcS

Post by PcS » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:54 pm

It hit me like a freight train when I got home and pulled from the printer !!! No problem to modify . Just have to take the time !

swbluto

Post by swbluto » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:52 am

Just got the E3D kit and I'm now installing it on my makergear. One thing I'm kind of befuddled by is why they designed this glass bead thermistor with thin metal legs to be inserted in a tiny hole in a metal body. Doesn't make sense, since the legs of the thermistor look like they'd easily short out with the body of the hotend, making all values read useless (And the sleeves they give you can't fit inside the tiny hole). And, I read someone else's complaints online of this product that almost seems like it did just that. What the hell?

The product looks so nice, but I swear an electrical n00b was designing it. They could've at least put some kind of ceramic insert in the hole to prevent shorting of the thermistor legs. Or maybe conformal coating or some such.

I'm going to finish installing it once I get the right tools and equipment and I'm hoping that it works. If not, straight to the Makergear V4. Even though I was turned off by the complicated install procedure, I'm realizing that much of it offers a drastic improvement over the V3B.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:02 am

I hear ya but i have never had that happen on 4 of these hot ends and thousands of hours if printing between them and i have never heard anyone complain about the issue either. The blue sleeving does fit down in the hole insluating it and once the screw has everything locked into place it doesnt ever move. The blue sleeve should slide all the way up to the glass bulb and stay there

swbluto

Post by swbluto » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:04 am

Well, damn. I guess I'll try extra hard in insert the blue sleeve into the tiny hole. (And, man, I already shortened the sleeves. Hmmm...)

Well, I tried reinstalling it, and the sleeve went all the way upto the hole, but it wouldn't go into the hole due to fraying from past attempts. Well, I'm hoping it simply works and my concerns are baseless.

swbluto

Post by swbluto » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:54 pm

Got everything wired and inserted the hotend into the extruder motor assembly and, what, it wobbles and is loose? Is that normal? So, I removed it and reinserted the original makergear extruder and it surely enough fit snug as a bug and wasn't playing around. What gives? Surely a loose extruder won't work properly? Or is it one of those things where "Once the filament goes in, it'll work out alright in the end"? But, I'm going to be changing filament pretty often, so I don't see how that's going to work out.

Is this normal or did I get a defective one?

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:00 pm

They're not mount compatible, you need a mount designed for the E3D.