New Extruder Drive Gear

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
zemlin

Re: New Extruder Drive Gear

Post by zemlin » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:53 pm

My machine is wearing Hatchbox PETG in black. Had to be very careful with the pressure on the bearing as filament would flatten and get stuck in the extruder drive housing. Also had to back down on the extrusion multiplier (S3D) from 1.0 to 0.95.

There is no visible difference in the parts printed with the two different gears.

sthone

Post by sthone » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:34 pm

Testing this out now with a flexible filament and so far it's feeding fine. I usually feed slow at 20 mm/s but I bummed it up to 40 mm/s and its going well.

The new Filament drive is pretty much the same as far as I can tell but it now has a recess cut out for the feed tube on top which is nice and there is a little window on the side/front so you can clean the gear of if need be with the little brush they sent. (least that's what I assume its for.) :D

sprior

Post by sprior » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:50 pm

MakerGear clearly understands its client base - send out something with no instructions whatsoever and let them figure it out.

sthone

Post by sthone » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:04 pm

Oops... I may have spoke to soon on this flexible stuff :oops:

I had fast honeycomb infill set at 85% and it vibrated so much at that setting the feed screw backed out and after readjusting I'm now having feed problems. :?

sthone

Post by sthone » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:10 pm

sprior wrote:MakerGear clearly understands its client base - send out something with no instructions whatsoever and let them figure it out.
It is beta testing after all. :D Its a gear, take the old one off... put the new one on.

sprior

Post by sprior » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:39 pm

I was being far less sarcastic than it probably appeared... :D

PcS

Post by PcS » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:42 pm

Did they send you a filament drive ? Or did you download it from the github ?

sthone

Post by sthone » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:54 pm

PcS wrote:Did they send you a filament drive ? Or did you download it from the github ?
They sent it along with the new gear. I don't think there any huge difference then what I listed before though.

As for testing the new gear I'm not having much luck with flexible filament (I might have to leave it up to the experts on the flexible stuff) After my filament drive screw loosened up on the new drive I couldn't get the flex to feed anymore no matter how much tried adjusting it.

I put my original gear and my spring loaded hinged drive back on and ran the part without any real issues. I then tried the new gear again along with my hinged drive and I got about half way through the print before it stopped feeding this time. Now I don't know if it's a problem related to the gear or just the flexible filament in general at this point because I never really dialed this stuff in and I don't print with it very often. I will give it a few more tries but it will have to wait until tomorrow.

I did run a print with the new gear (still using my hinged drive though) with some Hatchbox Wood and everything printed fine.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:59 pm

I got mine today. Ill run some ninjaflex and bridge nylon tonight and post my results. Thise are the two that the old gear wouldn't bite into. The teeth werent sharp enough so it would just squish the filament. On one of my original gears i actually went and filed the teeth to razor sharp points

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:35 am

Running the new gear. I like the larger set screw compaired to the original. It is much more sensative to adjustment. I have had the most sucess feeding filament in until you see it in the gap above the hot end. Then back it out and measure the widest area on the filament. If it has smashed it to more than 1.85 you will need to back off the screw some more, trim the smashed area off and try again.