New Extruder Drive Gear

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
PcS

Re: New Extruder Drive Gear

Post by PcS » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:41 pm

Two smaller prints with 3dxtech carbon fiber abs came out flawlessly after the gear swap with no other adjustments a simple drop in. I will have to try it with other filaments but I doubt there will be an issue. Not sure how the smaller grooves will be for ninja flex. have never printed any soft filaments yet .

PcS

Post by PcS » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:13 am

Chasing filament in while printing seems easier as well.

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:08 am

This ended up being a rather challenging week so we did not get the new gears shipped. We'll get them out as soon as we can...

Thanks,
Rick

PcS

Post by PcS » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:15 pm

So far so good for me ...lol ...sorry Jim ;) It likes carbon fiber and petg so far. I have not tried it at any break neck speed yet to see if the smaller teeth are up to the challenge. What is the thinking behind this new gear ? I mostly only see easier filament loading . On a side note I like the set ups with this style gear that I have seen that use two of the slightly rounded ones for more filament contact area.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:33 pm

The challenging filaments are ninjaflex and bridge nylon. Bridge is slippery and you cant get the teeth to sink into it no matter how tight you have the tension set.

PcS

Post by PcS » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:56 am

I have not had the reason to print either of those ...although ninja flex looks appealing I just have not had the use scenario to order any. And I have.never heard of bridge nylon. My short experience with most nylon has been terribly warpy...new word ! ;)

Vandal968

Post by Vandal968 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:49 pm

I just got a ship notification for the new gear. Yay! I volunteered for the last couple of beta things and this is the first one that I've been included in. I was starting to think that they didn't like me...

I'm curious if the smaller teeth will have any effect on the banding that occurs when large flat things are printed. I've always assumed that it was caused by the peaks and troughs of the feed gear.

cheers,
c

PcS

Post by PcS » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:06 pm

It will not change the banding. Your z.and.bed level plus.extrusion calibration all impact that.

sprior

Post by sprior » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:07 pm

Apparently my drive gear (or two since I've got a dual) is out for delivery today. I want to make sure I understand how to use this - do I need a new extruder body for this or not? I saw mention it's shorter so I wasn't sure. Is there a new extruder body model for the dual around someplace? Even better yet, my current extruder bodies are the "derpy" variation that Josh created at my request that have a top tube that supports the feed tube, so I'd ultimately want that again.

PcS

Post by PcS » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:02 am

This will drop in to what you are already using with no issues.