Enclosure for the M2? Retain heat and contain smell...

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
scampa123

Re: Enclosure for the M2? Retain heat and contain smell...

Post by scampa123 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:20 pm

I just received my 3DprintClean (3dprintclean.com) enclosure. It came as a kit (like a giant erector set!)...It is sealed, and uses a "scrubber" with a replaceable filter (says every 3 months) to scrub the particles and fumes. No external ventilation needed. They offer a heater option, which I did not purchase. All sides are doors (except bottom)...

The documentation says to leave the enclosure closed for 1hr after the print completes to ensure it scrubs the particles and fumes completely...I'm not thrilled about the length of time it takes, but it still makes me feel better. The particle info in the industry put a damper on things for me for a while since I print in my home.

The enclosure is 600mm x 600mm...The price has doubled since I originally purchased it (over 6months ago I think)....It's big, sturdy and heavy when fully built.

I'm waiting for a piece that was missing before using and putting my printer in it, but I'll push some pics out within the next two weeks.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:13 am

you realize there are no mysterious particles of plastic floating around. we are doing a controlled melt of the plastic. particles (soot) happens when the plastic is overheated and it actually burns. we dont reach those temps on our machines unless of course something fails. if you end up using abs though it will help with the smell and warping.

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:33 am

I know, you spoke with me about this when we met...I'm not sure what to think honestly. I just don't want to find out in 20yrs that melting all this plastic somehow affected my family in some way....Small price to pay for some piece of mind, if nothing else...

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:00 am

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:29 am

that is a page written and worded to freak people out. do you realize what they are talking about there? these particles and the size they are talking about is called "odor" those particles are with anything we smell all day long. everything from a baked apple pie, perfume, fresh cut grass, basically anything you can smell is a molecule or nano particle as they call it. they write that and call these nanoparticles to give it more impact the reader. if they say pla has a smell everyone would say so what. poor sal put his printer away in a closet for a year and half or something like that and never used it because of the internet bs from papers like that. so yes if you print pla 24/7 and keep your face over the heated bed for 20 years you might just start to feel some effects.

insta

Post by insta » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:51 am

Or, you end up like Jim. :mrgreen:
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:01 pm

Yep :mrgreen:

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:05 pm

scampa123 wrote: find out in 20yrs that melting all this plastic somehow affected my family in some way
It definitely will: your kids will thank you for starting them on a lifetime of making useful & interesting gadgets.
http://softsolder.com/2012/08/29/longbo ... -lighting/

That longboard project landed her some great co-op gigs, plus a couple of scars from learning that parkour isn't nearly as easy as it looks.

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:23 pm

Cool project!! Yes my kids have used it for projects at school. They've designed things using printcraft and sketchup....

My son's middle school has 3D printers and he was that much further along...

I love if for those aspects!!

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:19 am

Here is my enclosure with my M2 inside. sorry it took a bit for me to post this!!
Attachments
image.jpeg