Another way to make your M2 quiet

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
zemlin

Another way to make your M2 quiet

Post by zemlin » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:17 pm

I had a cast iron plate out in the garage - weights about 75 lbs and is machined on one surface. I don't know what it was made for, but it belonged to my grandfather. I printed out some short legs for it and put rubber feet on them. I then put the plate on the floor and set my M2 on top of it. That much mass REALLY kills the mechanical noise compared to having it on my desk.

I removed the dampers from the XY motors to see if they were contributing to ring or overshoot - I didn't see a difference in the print, FWIW ... but the increase in noise level was minimal. I have replaced all the small, noisy fans with larger units - so the fan noise has mostly been addressed.

I don't expect this to be a hot topic because I'm sure heavy cast iron plates aren't something most folks have on hand - but you might try something like a large concrete patio block to put some isolating mass between your printer and whatever it's on.

Jules

Re: Another way to make your M2 quiet

Post by Jules » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:08 pm

I've got mine on a built in cabinet and it doesn't make a mechanical noise, but that's a great idea anyway. :D

Matt_Sharkey

Re: Another way to make your M2 quiet

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:26 am

nice! it's like the reverse of a seismograph!

Lets just bolt the damn thing to some concrete footers!