Would 25mm nozzle make a noticeable difference w/miniatures?

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
wisdomknight

Would 25mm nozzle make a noticeable difference w/miniatures?

Post by wisdomknight » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:59 pm

I understand FDM printers arent for detailed game miniatures especially 30mm ones, but would going the route of adding a 25mm nozzle make much of a difference for something that small?
How hard is adding a different nozzle?
If I was planning on getting a second extruder would it be more practical adding the 25mm one as the second?

Thanks for any suggestions

insta

Re: Would 25mm nozzle make a noticeable difference w/miniatu

Post by insta » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:25 pm

You're missing a few decimal points ;)

You can get higher resolution with a 0.25mm nozzle (I run 0.20mm on a special machine I use because I refuse to go resin for some reason). It's difficult -- you have to print slowly, you can only print some materials (when you find one that works, NEVER CHANGE), the prints are brittle, you'll have problems with stringing, and so forth. But, it does work, and it lets you use your existing machine instead of buying a resin printer (which is probably the better solution).
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:29 pm

wisdomknight wrote:a 25mm nozzle make much of a difference for something that small?
Without special tweaking, the usual 0.35 mm nozzle gives you a 0.40 mm thread, so a 0.25 mm nozzle will produce 0.30 mm.

While the thread would be 25% narrower, in practical terms the smallest feature will be 0.60 mm: two threads side-by-side. That's down from 0.80 mm, but still rather chunky for a small figure.

If you paid careful attention to print quality and put the two figures side-by-side, the piece printed with a 0.25 mm nozzle would look "better". Neither would look like an injection-molded part and they'd both require surface finishing, but that might be entirely acceptable for game pieces.

wisdomknight

Post by wisdomknight » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:03 pm

thank you for the replies!