Removing bed springs

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
thunderbt3

Re: Removing bed springs

Post by thunderbt3 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:14 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L85goRYoSQE

If you download the quickstart app, there's a couple thumbnails in there too.

dklassen

Post by dklassen » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:03 pm

I don't see the Rev E spiders on their site.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:10 pm

dklassen wrote:I don't see the Rev E spiders on their site.
Don't know that they are selling them yet. :D
The handful of folks who did the conversions from the older machines to the Rev.E were the beta testers last year. Otherwise, they are going out on new machines now. (MG will probably offer them as an upgrade when things slow down a bit, and they have a few extra.)

MikeA

Post by MikeA » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:27 am

As someone mentioned several post above I don't see why the same end result cannot be achieved by removing the springs and replacing them with a couple of washers. The existing spider can then be drilled and tapped on each corner for the new leveling screws. I'm willing to try this but would like to see a good close up picture of where the screw comes through and touches the heater plate. From the video it appears to be very close to the corner. Is the corner of the heater pad trimmed back so the screw touches the aluminum heater plate?

I have already installed the rev E firmware and moved the Z-home to the bottom. This also required moving the homing switch to a different connector on the board.

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:46 am

revE 01.jpg
Drilling and tapping the level screws should be easy enough with a drill press... here's a close up of where they are. (corners are removed) Keep in mind this is on the beta units not sure if anything changed on the production units.
Yes... the heater pad corners are trimmed back so the screw touches the aluminum heater plate directly.

revE 02.jpg
There is also a setscrew in the side of the plate that holds the level screw from backing out. (this might be harder to do unless you have a full size drill press.)

revE 03.jpg
The hold down for the build surface. (I use Jim's printed corners in conjunction with the stock Rev. E hold downs because my heater plate doesn't sit flat even with the Mic6 plate on it.)

Hope these help you if you decide to convert you spider. I'm hoping to do my take off spider this weekend.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:05 am

on a side note, if anyone is looking for the corners, there is a special one i made specifically for rev3 and beta testers. it does not have the pad on the bottom.

MikeA

Post by MikeA » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:49 am

Thanks the pictures were exactly what I was looking for. McMaster sells Nylon tipped set screws which should work well for the side locking screws.

Mike