Removing bed springs

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Deereengineer

Removing bed springs

Post by Deereengineer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:36 pm

Has anyone successfully improved the bed leveling by removing the springs ? Cnc machines have no springs so I can't see why we need them on the m2.

thunderbt3

Re: Removing bed springs

Post by thunderbt3 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:48 pm

The Rev. E machines do not have springs. The bed leveling procedure is completely different than the 3 point leveling you currently have. You would need to upgrade to the 4 point spider that solid mounts to the z platform.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:30 pm

Deereengineer wrote:improved the bed leveling by removing the springs
Works fine for me:
https://softsolder.com/2013/05/31/maker ... ilization/

The silicone disks support the platform. I couldn't think of anywhere better to store the springs, so I left them in place.

The downside is that the platform has absolutely no vertical compliance: if the nozzle rams the glass (or aluminum or whatever) hard enough, something's gonna give.

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:39 pm

ednisley wrote:The downside is that the platform has absolutely no vertical compliance: if the nozzle rams the glass (or aluminum or whatever) hard enough, something's gonna give.
The best result is that the Z motor slips first. Wouldn't that happen before the glass breaks, or anything else catastrophic?

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:51 am

Tim wrote: Wouldn't that happen before the glass breaks
I vaguely recall somebody showing off a cracked glass platform from a nozzle crash (as well as one from a corner clip gotcha), presumably with springs involved. That surely required more than a casual crunch.

I'd worry more about deforming the nozzle or bending the hot end, particularly on a V4. Although I know it's a durable bit of brass you folks think nothing of reaming out with wires & carbide drills, the tolerances call for careful treatment. Mashing it against the platform can't possibly be good for it.

On the other paw, I haven't had anything exciting happen for a couple of years; I definitely worry too much ...

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:28 am

you cant remove the springs. if you remove them then what is going to push the bed upward so that it can be adjusted?

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:59 pm

jimc wrote:what is going to push the bed upward
For my M2, I used a trio of silicone rubber washers with enough compliance to level the platform, cut from scrap vibration isolators in my Pile o' Stuff:
https://softsolder.com/2013/05/31/maker ... ilization/

The washers, along with the M2 spring and mounting screw, stand along the center bottom of the picture. The junk on the top shows that it took me a while to get it right...

Anything rubbery with some flex, about that tall, should work.

The platform sits flat on the not-quite-solid washers. The adjusting screws compress the washers just enough to level the platform, after which it's pretty much a rigid part of the Z-axis machinery with no compliance at all.

The silicone washers didn't make much difference in the overall print quality, but I haven't had to align the platform in ... I don't remember.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:04 pm

Yes i remember you used silicone washers which is great but it sounded like the op wanted to simply just remove the springs

Deereengineer

Post by Deereengineer » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:50 pm

I'm ok with keeping the springs , but I want to stiffen things up enough so that a dial indicator will read correctly without moving the build plate .

insta

Post by insta » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:58 pm

Deereengineer wrote:I'm ok with keeping the springs , but I want to stiffen things up enough so that a dial indicator will read correctly without moving the build plate .
Get a rev E spider. You can keep the Z=0 homing if you want.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org