MIC6 preorder number 2 *READY FOR SHIPPING*

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Spotopolis

Re: MIC6 preorder number 2

Post by Spotopolis » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:37 am

I'm still in, but is the non-PEI side bead-blasted or is it bare? I can bead blast myself if that's the preferred setup and is not offered. Is it?

I think I recall reading that either ABS or PETG doesn't do so well with PEI, so I'm looking to make sure I can get the best adhesion with the alternative materials.

At this point, I'm only printing with ABS, PLA and SemiFlex. I have a couple of rolls of PETG but have not experimented with them yet. I soon plan to test out EPC or Nylon for the high heat resistance, able to withstand being on a motorcycle tank, just above the engine.

Thanks,
Steve

fes

Post by fes » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:44 am

I'm still in too.

crazyg0od33

Post by crazyg0od33 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:19 pm

Insta -

Not sure where you get your PEI from, but I've ordered from here before and the pricing isn't too bad (and the adhesive is preapplied so it's easy to install). Not sure if that changes pricing, just throwing it out there

http://catalog.cshyde.com/viewitems/3d- ... /ultem-pei

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:55 pm

Spotopolis wrote:I think I recall reading that either ABS or PETG doesn't do so well with PEI ...
IMHO, PEI rocks for ABS. I give it a light coat of ABS slurry, run at 100C, and have been thrilled with the results. It's very rare that I get ANY lift or warp, and I've been getting zero delamination since I dialed in my ABS process.

Without the slurry the first layer was harder to dial in, and I'd get adhesion enough to break the part one time and lifting the next.

I prefer Kapton over glass for PETG, although it runs fine on on PEI as well. I think I run the bed at 70C for PETG on PEI.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:43 pm

Spotopolis wrote:I'm still in, but is the non-PEI side bead-blasted or is it bare? I can bead blast myself if that's the preferred setup and is not offered. Is it?

I think I recall reading that either ABS or PETG doesn't do so well with PEI, so I'm looking to make sure I can get the best adhesion with the alternative materials.

At this point, I'm only printing with ABS, PLA and SemiFlex. I have a couple of rolls of PETG but have not experimented with them yet. I soon plan to test out EPC or Nylon for the high heat resistance, able to withstand being on a motorcycle tank, just above the engine.

Thanks,
Steve
Insta generally blasts the non-PEI side. PETG is great on PEI, I print it all the time. (Never done ABS, but others have and it's good.)

What you might have trouble with is the flex filaments and/or nylon? (i think. Don't quote me on it.)

EPC also works according to other folks who have tried it.

insta

Post by insta » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:19 am

I'm willing to charge less for the PEI upgrade if I dont have to bead-blast it. Bead-blasting suuuucks and is responsible for like $15 of the final price. I will scour the PEI itself a bit.

Also the only thing that won't stick to PEI is Nylon. Ninjaflex may stick too hard if anything, havent tried yet.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

NF6X

Post by NF6X » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:22 am

I want whatever the optimal build surface is for PLA and PETG. ;)

insta

Post by insta » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:30 am

crazyg0od33 wrote:Insta -

Not sure where you get your PEI from, but I've ordered from here before and the pricing isn't too bad (and the adhesive is preapplied so it's easy to install). Not sure if that changes pricing, just throwing it out there

http://catalog.cshyde.com/viewitems/3d- ... /ultem-pei
I do like their pricing for thin pieces, but I'm quoting with full 1/16" PEI applied. That's what I run, and its nigh indestructible, even with prying and nozzle strikes.

crazyg0od33

Post by crazyg0od33 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:12 am

I'm still in with PEI.

:D

What does bead blasting do? Allow me to use the other side in case the PEI isn't working out for a certain material?

insta

Post by insta » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:15 am

The bead blasting just gives one side a rough texture, which can help the plastic bite into it. The only thing that won't stick to PEI is Nylon, and that's best served with dilute Elmers on glass anyway (shiny aluminum probably works too).