MIC6 preorder number 2 *READY FOR SHIPPING*

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
steve220

Re: MIC6 preorder number 2 *READY FOR SHIPPING*

Post by steve220 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:10 pm

Insta,
Thanks so much for these. Mine is working great!

crazyg0od33

Post by crazyg0od33 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:14 am

Quick update - the 99% alcohol did the trick! Sticking like the day it came in.

sgrankin

Post by sgrankin » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:59 am

Finally got time to set this up and make a few prints this week. Works great!
A couple things I encountered:
- The surface temperature was about 10C lower than the set point for the heated bed. Turned out my heated bed sags a bit in the center, so I put some thermal paste between the two and the temperature is pretty accurate now.
- Occasionally a small layer of the print gets stuck to the PEI; the first time I saw it I thought I managed to jam the nozzle into the PEI and melt it, but after hitting it with a scraper it turned out to just be leftovers.
- And yea, I turned down the acceleration because my table started shaking a bit more with the heavier plate. (I was still using default).

Otherwise, sticks great and is pretty much indestructible.
Thanks insta!

crazyg0od33

Post by crazyg0od33 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:37 am

sgrankin wrote:Finally got time to set this up and make a few prints this week. Works great!
A couple things I encountered:
- The surface temperature was about 10C lower than the set point for the heated bed. Turned out my heated bed sags a bit in the center, so I put some thermal paste between the two and the temperature is pretty accurate now.
- Occasionally a small layer of the print gets stuck to the PEI; the first time I saw it I thought I managed to jam the nozzle into the PEI and melt it, but after hitting it with a scraper it turned out to just be leftovers.
- And yea, I turned down the acceleration because my table started shaking a bit more with the heavier plate. (I was still using default).

Otherwise, sticks great and is pretty much indestructible.
Thanks insta!

My bed sags as well, but I have no way of measuring the actual temp - may need to grab an IR thermometer or something to check it

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:53 pm

crazyg0od33 wrote:grab an IR thermometer
Remember that IR thermometers:
  • Assume an "organic" target: you get incorrect results from bare metallic surfaces like aluminum plates. Always apply tape to the metal as a target and verify that "room temperature" readings make sense.
  • Report the average temperature of a circle in front of the opening: the laser dot serves as an aiming guide, not a pinpoint target. The circle embiggens with distance: about 1 inch at 6 inches, 2 @ 12, 4 @ 24.
  • Can't measure the temperature of anything smaller than that circle at any distance: hot ends and transistors are too small.
A Public Service Announcement for anyone reading this discussion thread in our future ...

Vandal968

Post by Vandal968 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:59 pm

ednisley wrote:
crazyg0od33 wrote:grab an IR thermometer
The circle embiggens with distance: about 1 inch at 6 inches, 2 @ 12, 4 @ 24.
Nice usage of "embiggens", my favorite, perfectly cromulent word.

cheers,
c

CCRN

Post by CCRN » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:59 am

Will this completely replace boro glass or do you pull it out for specific jobs? I am currently using boro and hairspray which is easier for me than kapton tape.

crazyg0od33

Post by crazyg0od33 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:50 am

CCRN wrote:Will this completely replace boro glass or do you pull it out for specific jobs? I am currently using boro and hairspray which is easier for me than kapton tape.

it completely replaced the glass for me

CCRN

Post by CCRN » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:10 am

Ordered. Hoping the PEI layer lasts for a long time. How much time can I expect out of the PEI layer and can it be removed and a new sheet reapplied?

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:15 am

If you don't do stupid stuff with it, the PEI should last for a very long time. My first PEI bed got some small nicks in it where I was trying to pull parts off while still warm, and also some from where a razor blade flexed. I haven't added any new nicks for a long time. I recently removed the PEI, cleaned it up with acetone, and will put the sheet back down with the nicked surface down one of these evenings.