MIC6 preorder number 2 *READY FOR SHIPPING*

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Jules

Re: MIC6 preorder number 2 *READY FOR SHIPPING*

Post by Jules » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:54 pm

Cyclo wrote:Just received my MIC6, looks real nice.

I'm wondering how I should be setting my starting height now since its a lot thicker and Quick Start will basically drive Z too far.
I feel like I'm missing something real basic here, so how is everyone doing this on Rev E.

I had a look around but couldn't really find anything, am I on the right track here?:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2014&start=60#p14878
Reset your Starting Height using the Getting Started App, like you did when you first got the machine.

fes

Post by fes » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:25 pm

Order received.
Looks good.

Thanks Insta :)

steve220

Post by steve220 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:43 pm

Just got mine and have two dumb questions.
1. Is the added weight an issue on the motors (or anything else)?
2. The bed clips no longer fit. Are folks just not using them?

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:50 pm

steve220 wrote:Just got mine and have two dumb questions.
1. Is the added weight an issue on the motors (or anything else)?
2. The bed clips no longer fit. Are folks just not using them?
1. Nope. :)
2. I took mine off completely.

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:22 pm

REV E machine uses screw-down clips in the corners. I still use those.

insta

Post by insta » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:46 am

Yeah, you're either using larger binder clips (just the next size up) or the same screw-down clips. Back all the screws out of the spider as far as they go, then level from there. The MIC6 + fat PEI is quite the combination in terms of thickness...

That said, I got almost no feedback on them. I assume people are happy :lol:
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

crazyg0od33

Post by crazyg0od33 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:47 am

Yeah, I'm just using the screw down tabs, but theyre loosened a lot to fit over the PEI.

Only issue I'm having, as stated in the tech support thread, is some off peeling on the first layer in specific locations on the bed.

I'm trying one suggestion from reddit to clean it with 99% rubbing alcohol to see if that gets any residue from my fingers or whatever off of the bed (because everything stuck amazingly like I know PEI does for the first week of use), and if that doesn't work, I'm gonna try the 1000 grit sandpaper I just bought.

If nothing works, I may be ordering another one to see if that fixes it.

Who knows. but it's working out well for me so far when the first layer goes down smooth!

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:09 am

Scuffing it up will work. (If you don't want to start out with 1000 grit sandpaper, you can use a slightly damp Magic Eraser. The melamine sponge is abrasive on a microscopic level. It works to give it the tooth it needs without leaving visible scratch marks on it, although it does dull the surface somewhat.)

(By the way, sanding the PEI does not damage the finish on the print - it's still smooth on the bottom.) :)

You might have trouble removing prints after you get the surface scuffed up - mine stick like they have been welded to the PEI.

For easy removal, I found another tool recently that can get underneath a corner and start that air gap that lets a print pop off. (It does need a corner though - not good for round prints.) And it is shaped so that it prevents any damage to the PEI - you literally cannot gouge into it with this knife.

It's a leather working tool called a skiving knife.

Ease up the very tip of a corner and work a narrow spatula underneath to break the seal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FM ... UTF8&psc=1

insta

Post by insta » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:47 am

crazyg0od33 wrote:Yeah, I'm just using the screw down tabs, but theyre loosened a lot to fit over the PEI.

Only issue I'm having, as stated in the tech support thread, is some off peeling on the first layer in specific locations on the bed.

I'm trying one suggestion from reddit to clean it with 99% rubbing alcohol to see if that gets any residue from my fingers or whatever off of the bed (because everything stuck amazingly like I know PEI does for the first week of use), and if that doesn't work, I'm gonna try the 1000 grit sandpaper I just bought.

If nothing works, I may be ordering another one to see if that fixes it.

Who knows. but it's working out well for me so far when the first layer goes down smooth!
I originally said I'd be scuffing the beds -- then I realized that what works for me doesn't work for everybody, and you can't unscuff something. You can use either a damp Magic Eraser, or a green "scrubbie" pad to put the haze into the film. Do it while it's room temperature, rinse it very well, and heat it dry. I go in overlapping circles.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

crazyg0od33

Post by crazyg0od33 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:05 am

yeah I'd always used PEI unscuffed before, but I'll use that technique if it comes to that!

Thanks for the tip