MIC6 preorder number 3 *back for sale*

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
atomic_peach

Re: MIC6 preorder number 3 *back for sale*

Post by atomic_peach » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:17 am

I don't print ABS so I cannot give a firm answer here, but I don't think you'll need it with PEI. The key is to keep it clean of oils; use isopropyl alcohol before each print. If you still have adhesion issues, I've heard you can scuff up the surface with 1000-2000 grit sandpaper to restore the adhesion.

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:41 pm

I use acetone on a cooler plate and have seen no signs of crazing or other deterioration. I had looked up the compatibility info before using acetone on it. I have also used a very light film of ABS juice on PEI for ABS but have moved away from that since moving the printer into a heated enclosure.

insta

Post by insta » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:00 pm

hanktt wrote:Thanks atomic_peach for the answers. Glad I asked about acetone compatibility. So, it sounds like ABS juice is no, no for PEI then.
Make sure you peel the film from the underside of the aluminum too!
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

vesteroid

Post by vesteroid » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:11 am

I received mine late last week and just now had time to fiddle with it. The plate is about 3/32 short on the 8" side and the pei sheet is perfectly square on one side but about 1/16 end to end out on the other side, leaving 1/16 of the aluminum plate exposed.

I am not sure if this is normal or not.

With it being smaller does that mean I need to print those clips I saw linked up thread? I didnt readily see how that auto adjust, but maybe I am just being thick tonight.

I was also wondering, with all this thermal mass, do I need to set the bed temp well in advance, let the actual plate come up to temp to match the mg plate? Do I need to set it a bit higher to achieve actual temp on the new plate?

insta

Post by insta » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:14 pm

What the hell? Do you have a picture? It almost sounds like the adhesive shifted.

Normal is a sheet of aluminum with a perfectly capped piece of PEI on it. they should fit the Rev D holder just as well as the E, but I've noticed the D rubber pads are more variable in position. The plates can tend to run a tiny bit skinny due to the saw kerf.

Also, the temperature is the same, and the heating isn't appreciably longer (maybe 10-20%). The top of the plate will run cooler, but the PEI sticks harder than anything you've used before, so it balances out.

vesteroid

Post by vesteroid » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:07 am

Its not an issue with me, as I dont really think I am ever going to print to 1/16 from the edge...

I have a rev e so a little concerned I need to figure out how to secure it. It moves around quite a bit with any pressure.

I can try printing the clamps you linked upthread and see how they work.

sthone

Post by sthone » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:45 pm

IMG_2881.JPG
IMG_2881.JPG (40.98 KiB) Viewed 14608 times
With my plate I just use Jim's Corners but I use the normal Makergear Clips (with longer button head screw on the clips) rather than Jim's litte inserts on The Rev E because I need the downward pressure to keep my plate flat against the HBP.

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:26 pm

I have an alternate clip design posted here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4423
My latest set was printed from ePC (solid, no infill) and is holding up quite nicely printing in a heated enclosure.

vesteroid

Post by vesteroid » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:24 pm

I got the plate installed, and just using the stock clips so far. Just backed the screw out enough to get the clip over the plate, then tightened a bit. Looks a bit odd, but seems to work fine. Z I will print your clips in the am and see how they work.

The new plate STICKS. I have been really frustrated with the printer as I was having issue after issue getting my first layer to stick.

Maybe its the plate (probably), maybe I set the gap better (I used a sheet of printer paper and set it at just some friction) or maybe its a new day, but anyway you slice it, the prints now stick.

I am a happy camper

insta

Post by insta » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:17 pm

Next batch going out tomorrow, get any last orders in :)