Custom dual extruder firmware configuration

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Spotopolis

Custom dual extruder firmware configuration

Post by Spotopolis » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:27 pm

I have set up an older (mid 2013) 19v/12v M2 with a custom dual extruder using the E3D Chimera, which is basically two E3D V6s morphed together. As this is not a MakerGear supported setup, I need a bit of help with the firmware. The firmware I have currently works for my single E3D.

Since my new extruder motor mirrors the existing one, I need to reverse the direction of extrusion for the new motor. Right now, if I extrude, it retracts instead, and vice versa. Any idea where to change that setting? I don't see anything that seems to address only the new extruder in Configuration.h or in Configuration_adv.h.

As for adding the new extruder in the firmware, I see that I can change the number of extruders in Configuration.h, and then I thought I would look at the MakerGear supplied dual extruder firmware to see how to set up Configuration_adv.h.

Has anyone else done a dual setup on a 19v/12/v M2? If so, can I maybe get a copy of the firmware that I can then customize for the E3D to save a bunch of experimentation?

Thanks for reading my long explanation!

Tim

Re: Custom dual extruder firmware configuration

Post by Tim » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:03 am

The MakerGear dual extruder requires 24V, so you won't find many people with a 19V/12V dual extruder setup.

However, the question about extruder direction is easy. The RAMBo plugs are all reversible. If the extruder is running the wrong direction, then turn the plug around. You don't need to do anything to the firmware (except for putting in the offset distance between the nozzles).

Spotopolis

Post by Spotopolis » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:46 am

Thanks Tim, what a simple solution! That will save a bunch of trial and error.

I know that a 19v/12v dual is rare, but with it being an older machine, to upgrade to the V4 dual I'd need a new power supply, a new heated bed, rewiring of the fans, the new extruders, new motor, harness and new mounts. It might even require a new RAMBo board, though I'm unclear on it. That is beyond the budget at the moment, so I thought I'd try this experiment. So far with the exception of the backward extruding motor, everything seems to be working quite nicely.

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:49 am

I managed to upgrade mine to 24V without changing the RAMBo, although if you have a board with the square yellow circuit breaker in the back, like I did, then it has to be swapped out for an automotive fuse. And there's no place to put the fuse, so it's a real hack job. But yes, it gets kind of expensive to do everything at once.