Fume-blocking Enclosure

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
bicx

Re: Fume-blocking Enclosure

Post by bicx » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:15 pm

Sorry for the delayed response! Regarding the blowers on the filter, they generate a pretty stiff breeze even with two layers of filtration. These are the blowers I purchased: http://a.co/anoGsXG. They're rated at 42CFM each. I based my filter setup off another enclosure filtration design that featured two 120mm blowers, and while I considered just buying one of these blowers, I decided not to skimp. After building this, I'm tempted to say that one blower would probably be sufficient. With my current design, I think the two blowers help maximize all surface area of the current HEPA filter I'm using, but if I started over with a different filter size, I might just design it with one blower.

Question for you: What ULPA filter are you going to get? I started looking into that as well, and that probably means a V2 of my filter design.

I'm with you when it comes to sticking with this challenge. I really want to figure out a good affordable solution to this without poisoning myself or creating bad prints. And I really don't want to have to build ventilation to the outside, but I will if I absolutely have to (thinking a removable window insert and a Shop Vac tube with a blower, but again, only if absolutely necessary).

My next step is to throw together a temperature logger (using a temp sensor I have on hand and a Sparkfun ESP8266 IoT board) so I can get an idea of the temperature fluctuation over the course of the print.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:35 am

I did my first print with my enclosure tonight, and it was with the bed at 90C and the nozzle at 275, and the air at the top of the case only reached 30C after an hour. So I am probably over-designing the heat exchanger.

I'll post pics of my enclosure in the next couple days

bicx

Post by bicx » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:38 am

I've added temperature logging to my 3d printing enclosure, and it seems like I definitely need some ventilation or some other form of heat dissipation. It hit around 36C with the bed at 100C and the nozzle at 230C after printing around 4 hours. I'm no expert, but that seems like it would limit the lifespan of my electronics quite a bit.

I really want to find a way to do it without causing any warping due to temperature variations. Curious to see your solution, Farr0wn3d!

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:50 am

My enclosure is built, and I'm running several thermometers inside it, and with my build plate at 80C the electronics box fan was bringing in air that was over 40C, the print zone was about 50-60, and the top of the enclosure was seeing around 45C, after a couple hours of printing.

I have a concept that I'm working on for cooling the enclosure, in concert with ULPA filters and a charcoal prefilter. I have tested the concept and it works, so I am proceeding with it. Depending how it goes in further testing, I may detail it on the forum.

In the meantime, here is a photo of my enclosure.... Once all the temp issues are sorted out, it will have the spool on the other side and will have the X motor facing the window. I have all the mating surfaces sealed with foam tape, a cord port made of ninjaflex to prevent air from escaping there, and panels with rare earth magnets that pull the door shut and compress the foam tape when it shuts, making it as close to air tight as reasonably possible. It makes the printer VERY quiet. I'm pleased with the progress so far, just have to make a filtration and heat management solution, and then double it for my other M2.

EDIT: I should probably mention that the foam was holding the door open a bit for the initial test, and I didnt have the cord port blocked off, which helped raise the temp higher once it was better sealed.
Attachments
IMG_20161204_160000 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20161204_155923 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20161204_155042 (Medium).jpg

bicx

Post by bicx » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:11 pm

Very good-looking enclosure! I'm definitely curious to see how the heat and filtration solutions work out for you.