Heated Chamber- Viki control

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
GadgetGuru

Heated Chamber- Viki control

Post by GadgetGuru » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Greetings everyone,
i'm building a 24''x24''x24'' heated chamber out of aluminum extrusions from Adafruit and glass plates for my MG M2. My original plan was to add a simple heat regulating circuit and a circulation fan to the inside of the chamber, but I was wondering if the Viki controller (in tandem with RAMBo) is capable of monitoring the temperature and controlling a relay connected to a heater. I know the firmware in the Viki is equipped to handle heated chambers, but what about the electronics on an M2? Am I looking at a huge amount of work here or do you think it's doable?

All the best.
-Luke
Last edited by GadgetGuru on Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimc

Re: Heated Chamber- Viki control

Post by jimc » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:39 pm

cant say on the viki. the rambo board will need to be outside the chamber. how do you plan on cooling the steppers? the extruder motor mount and filament drive are plastic as well. those will get soft.

GadgetGuru

Re: Heated Chamber- Viki control

Post by GadgetGuru » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Hey Jimc,
I've already planned to put the electronics outside the chamber. As for the motors, i'll use a CPU water cooling system to cool them if they operate above 80C. If the extruder motor housing becomes too soft, i'll have to machine something out of aluminum, but i'll tackle that when it's necessary. So far, others haven't had much of a problem there.

I'm using 20x20mm aluminum extrusions and glass windows with gravity hinges so I can remove the sides. I'm going to use incandescent light bulbs for illumination and chamber heating. For now i'll use an adjustable convection vent at the top of the printer to adjust the temperature, but will probably upgrade to a simple electronic temperature regulation circuit later. I might also add a ventilation duct as well. I'm trying to keep this chamber as simple and versatile as possible.