Fix a gouged MIC6 Plate

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
RJD

Fix a gouged MIC6 Plate

Post by RJD » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:55 am

The nozzle gouged the sand blasted side of MIC6 aluminum plate while printing. Obviously, the adjustments are off and need addressed on my printer. What would be the best approach to remove the gouge without impacting the overall tolerances of the plate? Possibly a sheet of sandpaper and a granite surface plate. Thanks

zemlin

Re: Fix a gouged MIC6 Plate

Post by zemlin » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:48 am

I would not attempt to sand the entire surface of the plate. A small, flat file, stone, or hone should probably work fine. Aluminum is soft and cuts easily and any surface defects should clean up easily. i'd just try to eliminate any high spots and then see if you can live with what's left of the gouge.

if the entire surface of the aluminum needs to be cleaned up, i'd just replace it.

Sandpaper is flexible and won't likely stay flat, and anyone who lets you get close to their granite with sandpaper shouldn't have the granite surface plate.

theboz1419

Post by theboz1419 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:46 am

If you can't get the scratch out completely, then you may just have to put a piece of PEI on it or flip it over. Using a stone will takes the high spots off, and leaves the valley.

I was able to hand sand a similar scratch with mine, using very high grade sandpaper and a sanding sponge, but I wasn't able to get it completely gone and so it has PEI on it now and is now my preferred bed.
Builder of custom wifi BBQ temperature controllers

RJD

Post by RJD » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:00 pm

Zemlin, a variation of the scary sharp method of honing a plane blade with a sheet of sandpaper on a granite surface plate instead of affixed to a piece of glass. Many people utilize and recommend this method, especially those who build bamboo fly rods. An inexpensive surface plate is used for the aforementioned only, and someone certainly wouldn't utilize an expensive one that they also plan on using for machine shop purposes. I originally was thinking about putting a sheet of sandpaper on a known flat surface and lightly moving the aluminum plate across it to evenly remove material.

So it sounds like attempting to fix the gouged side is not an option. Would a light scuffing on the reverse side with sandpaper affixed to a block or a 3M style abrasive sponge adequately mimic the sandblasted side? Thanks.
Last edited by RJD on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.

3dPrintingMD

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Any chance we can see a pic of the damage?
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

insta

Post by insta » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:39 pm

:( why do you guys break my stuff
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

RJD

Post by RJD » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:54 pm

insta wrote::( why do you guys break my stuff
The plate was processed by another source. I cleaned off the layers of hairspray and examined the plate more closely. Actually, it is not as bad as originally thought. I will fine tune the adjustments, and see what happens. Thanks for the help.