LCD Controller

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
ob1

LCD Controller

Post by ob1 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:06 am

An LCD controller might be a useful upgrade for your M2. There is nothing worse than having your 8 hour dual colour print ruined while your computer decides that it has something more important to do such as crashing the USB communications by running your favorite anti-virus software.

If you are thinking of purchasing a Geeetech LCD controller then I suggest you consider other options. These LCD controllers have a number of significant design faults and poor quality control. Mine arrived with a GSOD (Green Screen Of Death) right from the box. While MG have replaced this free of charge they should reflect on how such poor quality accessories influence the reputation of their well constructed and highly capable 3D printer.

You can read about this saga at http://turtlesarehere.com/html/lcd_controller.html.

I am working on a significantly improved and lower cost design. Please feel free to rip this off under GNU licencing (giving credit to your source) for non-commercial applications. While I am waiting on the boards and final testing do let me know if you are interested in a kit set or a built up unit (both less case). I anticipate having 9 spares that I will provide on a first come first served basis - price TBA.

kyeakel

Re: LCD Controller

Post by kyeakel » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:00 pm

I have been considering a LCD for some time now. I build lots of electronic circuits, so a kit or bare board would be great.
Thanks,
Kipp

ob1

Post by ob1 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:29 pm

My LCD controller design is fully tested, functional and robust. Let me know if you want one, parts or a PCB. All of the design information can be downloaded from the link in my original post, but note that you will need SMD soldering capabilities for construction.

Note: Stepper motors make excellent generators. If you drive the X and Y stages manually with the power turned off the LCD back light will blink on briefly (any LCD controller). While this may appear to be a problem the supply to the LCD controller is regulated and reverse polarity protected through the RAMBo so it won't cause damage. What is happening here is the stepper motor generated voltage is feeding back to the 24 V supply line via the body diode MOSFETs in the stepper motor controller integrated circuits.

insta

Post by insta » Tue May 09, 2017 7:34 pm

For what it's worth I still have about 25 Viki1's in a box...
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org