Adding Titan extruder to dual extruder M2

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
nirfriedman

Adding Titan extruder to dual extruder M2

Post by nirfriedman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:21 pm

Hi,

I am really interested in printing flexible material combined with rigid ones to make semi-flexible shapes. I gave up on printing NinjaFlex with the M2 extruder. I am thinking of replacing one of the extruders with a E3D Titan (which I understand is great for flexible filaments).

I saw a thread (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3782) that discusses replacing both extruders by a single Titan. This is not what I want to do. Didn't see any other info.

Before embarking on this, any advice or experience? I guess I need to redesign the extruder carrier to fit both extruders. I think I can do that part. I am less knowledgable about the electronics.

Thanks!

-Nir

nirfriedman

Re: Adding Titan extruder to dual extruder M2

Post by nirfriedman » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:32 pm

So I designed a mount to hold one V4 extruder (the original single extruder I got with the machine) and an E3D-V6+Titan extruder. I still did not assemble it (need to disassemble current dual extruder setup), so pictures will arrive later.

Now comes the parts I am less sure about:

1. Is it possible to set the Marlin firmware to handle two different types of hotends/extruders?

2. I now have a 24V extruder fan (for the E3D-hotend) that should be on constantly, where do I connect it on the board?

3. Any other wiring issues I should be aware of?

Would appreciate any insight,

Nir