My enclosure

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
jsc

Re: My enclosure

Post by jsc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:57 pm

Looking further, I see claims all over the place. Here's a thread with some relevant discussion: http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,205834,207291

On the high end, Stratasys' heated chamber patent cites 150C. On the low side, that thread says most warping occurs between 40C and room temperature, which is promising.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:50 am

yeah jin 50 is pretty low from what i have found. possible for pla maybe or some other type of filament they may use, i dont know. for abs they range 70-90c. i have read that all over then i actually asked someone once that runs a machine at their work to confirm.

tony i realize that rob's enclosure gets nowhere hot enough to completely get warp free. im just curious if 40c helps at all. is it 20%, 50% better, etc?

Tshulthise

Post by Tshulthise » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:30 pm

I had to order a FDM part made from Ultem 9085 today. It has a glass transition temp of 186C. That's probably where Jin saw temps that high for Stratasys machines.

I think an enclosure at any higher than ambient and steady temperature should help. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out a lot more details about how much it helps at different temps when I get back to printing regularly. I'm still working out my heater and build plate attachment and leveling systems now.

ProjectBox

Post by ProjectBox » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:30 am

BTW this is Dusty

When I fist entered this page I saw the first Picture and was like HEY That's my enclosure!! I love what you did with it, I will have to buy that second door so it is easier to change out the filament, If you do not mind me asking how did you go about adding the window to the side of the Frame? I would really want to add that to my enclosure.

Also I have printed a 5" tall by 4" wide ABS part, bed temp 98c with no warping or layer separation.

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:09 am

Drill hole. Lay masking tape guide. Cut out with saber saw. Glue picture frame glass to cheap picture frame. Double stick tape it all.

MichaelH

Post by MichaelH » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:25 am

Tony here is a picture of my printer with temps. It's in warming up stage for the extruder the Enclosure is warm. I also measured the hot air from the blower around 80C.
M: Material, S:Support, E: Enclosure
2014-04-21 13.26.141.png
Heated enclosure
2014-04-21 13.26.141.png (327.18 KiB) Viewed 14100 times

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:27 am

I ran into this thread today, the last post being in April. Curious as to how these cabinets are working out for those of you using them. I've seen what an air conditioner turning on and off can do to a print. I've since moved the printer to a more "stable" environment, but am curious if those of you using the cabinets are seeing a great improvement in ABS/PLA prints? The cabinet pictured in this thread looks great but is the effort worth the results? I would love to do this, but are you seeing radically different results in your prints? Have you seen drastic reductions in ABS failures?
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

Sanju

Post by Sanju » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:04 am

I'm curious about how the boxes are working out. I've been thinking about building an enclosure for my printer for venting reasons, I would have a exhaust fan with some vent pipe or pvc running out the window to remove fumes and didn't want to run into a over heating problem. Though the exhaust fan would cool the box some I suppose.

benavery

Post by benavery » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:23 am

I just finished putting an 80mm fan in the back of mine (and some smaller venting holes up the top-rear to letting the hot air out). The temp inside the box very quickly rises to 30C (with the bed at 70C), and the 80mm fan is running almost constantly to try and keep it there (the fan is attached to a PID temp controller). I haven't had a chance to run a longer print to see how well the fan keeps up after things stabilize more inside. I may switch the fan out with a slightly higher throughput fan (current one does 24cfm).
But I suspect you absolutely need some kind of cooling in there or you will probably fry your motors + electronics

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:17 pm

I just made a large ABS print in my enclosure. It was at 50C for most of the print, but overnight my bedroom heat went down, and the inside got down to 43C. The part came out crack-free. The enclosure is mandatory for larger ABS prints.

That all being said, the enclosure makes it harder to access the printer - to change filament and stuff. So it is a bit of a pain in the butt. I normally remove my printer from it when I am not printing ABS.

I am not convinced that I need ABS anymore now that eSun PETG has been working so well for me. If I could do it all over again, I would probably not have an enclosure and not buy ABS anymore. True, ABS comes in a lot more colors, but I can live with black, white, clear, yellow, blue, and red for most things and then use PLA for colors.