Runout sensor

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
insta

Runout sensor

Post by insta » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:40 pm

This is going on my M2s soon ... we'll see how it works. This is a very naive mashup of a runout sensor I found on thingiverse, and the M2 wire guard.

It should run the "swap filament" command when the endstop triggers, and it uses the 90-cent endstop switches with the rollerball. If I get it working, I can make firmware available. I tend to keep pace with Marlin.
https://smile.amazon.com/ALUNAR-Pieces- ... 71&sr=8-29
Attachments
Mashup of runout sensor and X endstop.stl
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 863 times
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

scampa123

Re: Runout sensor

Post by scampa123 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:29 pm

How did you make out with this? I was wondering how things resume since in order to replace the filament it has to go back through the sensor switch (triggers the switch), but you still have to manually add the new filament to the print head and extrude to get it working. Once filament is loaded, only then restart the print....So again I’m wondering how you made this work..Also are you using Octoprint? I know there are plugins for that, and the sensor can be plugged into the raspberry pi...I use Simplify3D, which makes me wonder if it would know how to handle this...

insta

Post by insta » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:35 pm

Well, I print with the Viki control panel. The runout switch enqueues an M600 command, which is smart enough to not re-trigger itself when the filament retracts out. It raises Z by 10mm, moves the hotend to X205 Y125 (middle-right), retracts 100mm, then waits for user input with the motors locked and bed warm. The hotend will shut down after 2 minutes.

I swap the filament manually, and press "load filament" on the Viki. it will re-heat the nozzle if it needs it, and load 50mm in -- just enough to prime the nozzle. It then asks "load more" or "resume print", and assuming the nozzle has squirted a bit of plastic, I say "resume print" and everything JustWorks.

insta

Post by insta » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:30 pm

It was pretty slick finding a print paused at 98% done with "Please replace filament" this morning :mrgreen:

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:34 pm

I love the idea of the sensor, I just need to research more to understand how it might work with Simplify3d and the M2...

In the finished item can you tell where the switch in filament occurred?

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:38 pm

I might setup Octoprint again to try a filament sensor...may be a better route anyway since it can be removed easier if it doesn't work out!

insta

Post by insta » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:48 pm

scampa123 wrote:I love the idea of the sensor, I just need to research more to understand how it might work with Simplify3d and the M2...

In the finished item can you tell where the switch in filament occurred?
I couldn't. The firmware keeps everything energized and the bed at temp while it waits, so it doesn't lose any steps. You would see it if the next spool of filament is drastically different though.

Wish I could give you some feedback on using the other ways to print. I print solely from SD card & LCD though.

anime_fan

Post by anime_fan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:40 pm

insta wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:40 pm
This is going on my M2s soon ... we'll see how it works. This is a very naive mashup of a runout sensor I found on thingiverse, and the M2 wire guard.

It should run the "swap filament" command when the endstop triggers, and it uses the 90-cent endstop switches with the rollerball. If I get it working, I can make firmware available. I tend to keep pace with Marlin.
https://smile.amazon.com/ALUNAR-Pieces- ... 71&sr=8-29
What pins did you use?

insta

Post by insta » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:36 am

I used the Y max endstop and mapped that in the firmware.

Low-Fer

Post by Low-Fer » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:35 pm

So could you tell us more about
insta wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:36 am
I used the Y max endstop and mapped that in the firmware.
just how you mapped the firmware?

I just love the idea of getting rid of all these end of spool pieces of filament. :D