Filament Tension guage

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
airscapes

Filament Tension guage

Post by airscapes » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:06 pm

Not sure if anyone has done this yet, didn't find any when searching. I just finished this last night and have not test it with anything other than PLA and PETG.

Once installed I set the proper depth of bite for PLA and set the pointer to 0 then did the same for PETG. Marked the number on the spool, Done.

This requires a 30mm M4 screw, 3 M4 nuts, 1M4 Wiing Nut, 2 M4 flat washers and 1 M4 lock washer (note I only have 1 washer on mine but needs more)

The printed thumb screw slides on first, then a 4M nut to lock it in place. Next the wingnut goes on upside down, flat washer, pointer, lock washer (Not shown in picture) and 2 nuts. Spin the 2 nuts on about 18+ MM and Locke them together so then can not move. Lastly a flat washer and the dial. Remove the original Allan key head nut and us this assembly in it's place. Adjust PLA first as you normally do, set point to zero and lock it down with the wingnut (don't move the screw, hold ti from moving while tightening the wing nut) Once you get a zero set set tension for other common filaments you use and writhe the number on the roll.

STL files in next post since I could not add them all here
Filament Guage2.jpg
Filament Guage1.jpg
Filament Guage pointer and hardware.jpg
Last edited by airscapes on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

airscapes

Re: Filament Tension guage

Post by airscapes » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:06 pm

Files for gauge, pointer and thumb screw
Offset Tension pointer.stl
(61.9 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
thumb screw.stl
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 437 times