Which Filament Extruder?

The place to discuss filament...
Technosteve

Which Filament Extruder?

Post by Technosteve » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:17 pm

I am wanting to make my own filament from pellets. Anyone have any experience with any of the popular ones such as FilaBot or Filastruder?

Thanks,
Steve

insta

Re: Which Filament Extruder?

Post by insta » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:30 pm

Yes, either buy everything I have related to filament extrusion for $150 (1.5 filastruders, a winder, and probably 30lbs of resins) or just don't do it. It sucks, seriously.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:24 pm

at this point, I would only get into making filament if you are into researching new and improved materials. maybe a year and a half ago you could save yourself about 20-40% on extruding your own filament, but now it's not even a sensible choice.

Pessimism aside, insta is offering you a helluva deal there.

insta

Post by insta » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:52 pm

Matt_Sharkey wrote:at this point, I would only get into making filament if you are into researching new and improved materials. maybe a year and a half ago you could save yourself about 20-40% on extruding your own filament, but now it's not even a sensible choice.

Pessimism aside, insta is offering you a helluva deal there.
I don't have time to run the machine for production quantities of plastic, but it is still cheaper than buying it, but not by much compared to eSUN. The biggest advantage I had was I could use MG94 ABS resin, which is by far my favorite resin to print with. Everybody else seems to use PA747 which is ... eh. It'd be fine for hobbyist use.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org