what would be the best filament for this application?

The place to discuss filament...
insta

Re: what would be the best filament for this application?

Post by insta » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:22 pm

helifrek wrote:Thanks for all the info and help everyone. The Turbofan blades Max RPMs should not exceed 50K, They will be attached to an electric motor for a scale rc airplane, not an actual turbine!!! I know there are a lot of plastic ducted fans out there but I couldn't tell you the rpms or anything on them, I will have to look it up. I have tried to contact a place that does metal 3D printing to find out how much that would cost. I was also thinking about finding someone with a Formlabs printer an try the new tough resin. I have printed a test set of blades from a file on Yeggi, the problem is the blades are so thin that it is hard to get a solid blade to come out, so they end up being a little weak, I wonder if a solid blade from tough resin would be any stronger.....

I also though about casting the turbofan, I have never casted anything but I would like to learn! Been watching youtube videos on casting aluminum and it looks pretty straightforward.
Don't use aluminum for this, at least in casting. It's too unpredictable and you'll get voids and pockets that will unbalance it.

Print the part, hot glue it to a piece of fanfold pink insulation, build a wall around it with more fanfold & hot glue, fill it with Smooth-On's MoldStar 15. After 6 hours, break the walls off, extract the part, and pour TASK-2 into the void it left. Once the TASK-2 cures for 24 hours, then put it in the oven at 170F for 6 hours to post-cure it.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

ednisley

Re: what would be the best filament for this application?

Post by ednisley » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:07 pm

jsc wrote:decided to check your math, Ed.
As the man said, "Trust, but verify." Looks like I switched from radius to diameter without tidying up the rubble.

But even a factor of four doesn't affect the conclusion: 200 k G means that every gram on the outer rim "weighs" 200 kg = 440 pounds. Given the Statistically Invalid Strength Test(s) we've seen around here, that's asking a lot:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2161