ABS vs PET

The place to discuss filament...
insta

Re: ABS vs PET

Post by insta » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:32 pm

Be very, very careful taking it that hot again! The V3b uses PEEK plastic structurally, and PEEK softens above about 250C. The pressure from the extruder can push the brass core out and permanently ruin the hotend if you go too hot.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:38 pm

insta wrote:Be very, very careful taking it that hot again! The V3b uses PEEK plastic structurally, and PEEK softens above about 250C. The pressure from the extruder can push the brass core out and permanently ruin the hotend if you go too hot.
Damn, thanks for the fast response... I was just about to go 265 :?

So what is the best hot end to use for these higher temps?

How about this one: http://www.smw3d.com/e3d-hotend-v6-1-75mm/
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:48 pm

thats the one i use so you can go that route or the makergear v4.

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:27 am

jimc wrote:thats the one i use so you can go that route or the makergear v4.
I tried looking for the v4 on the makergear site but didn't see it listed in the hot end product list.

So for a 24v M2, is the fan 12v and the heating element 24v or are they both 24v? I don't want to borrow pieces from my original v3b hot end, I want to keep it around as a complete working backup.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:44 am

Makergear has a hidden upgrade page. I dont have the link at the moment. It uses a 12 extruder fan and a 24v heater cartridge.

sthone

Post by sthone » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:50 am

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:31 am

jimc wrote:Makergear has a hidden upgrade page. I dont have the link at the moment. It uses a 12 extruder fan and a 24v heater cartridge.

I'll just go with the v6 and use those mounting parts you made for it. Even on the makergear hidden page there just isn't any info about the v4-- not even a picture. I can find loads of info and feedback on the v6 as well as assembly videos.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:54 am

Either way you decide you cant really go wrong. The v6 is a good proven design good to 300c. Its a quality piece that i have had no trouble with. When you get all setup just let me know and ill give you all my profiles.

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:38 pm

ednisley wrote:
pyronaught wrote:so they need to be fast and easy
Looks like you definitely needed a miracle for those, then figured out how to get one.

3D printing FTW!

I think in this case the miracle was that I didn't melt down my PEEK tube printing at 260 for several hours straight. I got all the v6 parts to do this right now though.

I guess in reference to the original topic of this thread, the ABS vs PET debate has to take into account that you would need to upgrade your hot end to get strong PET prints. With the stock M2 hot end, ABS is going to be the winner because you won't be able to print PET hot enough to get strong layer bonding.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:48 pm

245-255 for pet. No need to go higer than that. Those temps are within the v3b range. The pet+ your having trouble with wont layer bond well no matter how high you go. I printed that at 285 and saw no difference. Its just the nature of the beast with that stuff. I personally think on the opaques they use too much colorant or something. None of the other brands behave like that.