My statistically-invalid strength test.

The place to discuss filament...
beerstar

Re: My statistically-invalid strength test.

Post by beerstar » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:18 am

Hello ~ First post here. Hope it's okay to resurrect this thread. I just purchased my M2 and it'll be here in a couple of days. This thread is of particular interest to me because parts I print are similarly shaped and need to be strong. I currently have a Micro M3D. I find that if I print a rod in vertical orientation (meaning that it is like a tower) as opposed to horizontally (meaning it prints like a tower that has fallen over), it has NO strength. I can literally thump the rod and segments will fly off of it...they are worthless. If I print them "laying down/horizontally", they are incredible strong, but they fail 9/10 times. FYI, I've been printing PLA. Anyway, these are the main reasons I ponied up the money for the M2. So my question is, did you print this vertically or horizontally? Thanks in advance.

insta

Re: My statistically-invalid strength test.

Post by insta » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:09 pm

The hexagonal towers were printed in tower orientation, the chain links were printed laying down on the bed. The problem you're experiencing with the Micro M3D is undertemp and underextrusion, both of which will contribute to a good looking print, but one that's not very strong. If you want really strong parts, you probably want PETG or ePA, both available from eSUN/INTSERVO.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org