HIPS & PET+

The place to discuss filament...
Capt. John

HIPS & PET+

Post by Capt. John » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:00 pm

Anyone used their M2 for HIPS? High impact part sounds enticing.

PET+ with jimc's settings prints as good/easy as PLA, or ABS.
Perhaps jimc would post them for all.
He sent me a factory file he developed that's mint!

Made Solid's transparent blue PET+ is the best looking color (for my usage)
I've printed out so far.
Capt. John
Manistee, Michigan
Reel Amateur at 3D printing
Fishing Tackle Manufacturer & Webmaster for:
http://www.michiganangler.com
http://www.michigansportsman.com

jimc

Re: HIPS & PET+

Post by jimc » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:02 pm

John, hips is basically abs with one ingredent left out. Print and durability are about the same between the two. For the pet+ settings, i have shared that before and i think most everyone here has my profile. If someone needs it though just let me know and ill post it up again.

Capt. John

Post by Capt. John » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:42 am

Guess I should make the point PET+ is for high stressed parts like fishing tackle.
It's twice as expensive too.
Capt. John
Manistee, Michigan
Reel Amateur at 3D printing
Fishing Tackle Manufacturer & Webmaster for:
http://www.michiganangler.com
http://www.michigansportsman.com

dbkarmann

Post by dbkarmann » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:31 am

im using jimc pet + settings but my extruder keeps jamming
any tips??

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:27 am

could be a number of reasons really. give us some more info. is it jamming on the first layer? will it extrude say 100mm with the nozzle in the air? if you switch to maybe abs does it jam with that as well? could be the hot end is getting tight from plastic buildup in the brass tube. i assume your temp is running around 245-255? if you retract the filament is the drive gear cutting nice and deep into the filament? the tension isnt overtightened is it? if it is the bearing can squish the filament into a semi flat oval and wont be able to push through the drive or hot end. just some thoughts.

dbkarmann

Post by dbkarmann » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:48 am

thank you for the response i bumped the temp up to 255 and its coming out now without jamming. it prints abs perfectly and the pet + is a lot trickier. I have your file from when you first put it up on the old site. Did you change any settings since then? :)

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:57 am

yes i did change since then. 245 works for the clear and translucents. 255 for the opaques. the multiplier needed to be bumped up to 103. as for the retraction setting i dont really remember. i run an e3d hot end now so things are a little different. you really shouldnt have to bump the temp up to keep it from jamming. it should extrude smoothly even down alot lower. the temp are really just for layer bonding. the main sign that its time to do a cleaning on the hot end is when you need to keep bumping up the temp to get things to extrude. not saying thats whats happening. just take a mental note for now. over tightening the tension screw is another way to jam things up.pet is a little softer and more prone to squishing the filament out of round.

dbkarmann

Post by dbkarmann » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:05 am

oh ok its probably the tension screw too tight i will play with it.
i should have played with it before i actually received a paying order to make something with it
i just got complacent with how easy the makergear is to print with. I havent had a problem with anything i printed nylon just fine with it too.

cliffwarner

Post by cliffwarner » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:36 am

I have been working with some PET+ from MadeSolid (opaque white) trying to make my extruder for my E3D V6 hot end. The problem I am having is that the filament is not sticking to itself. The exterior perimeters are not bonded to each other or the inner fill. I am using the .fff file posted more recently on another thread here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1656. I tried bumping my temps up to 250 and increased the flow to 104, and it did not solve the issue. Are people using the bed fan with PET+? I am beginning to think that the bed fan, set to 60%, is causing some of the issues. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Cliff

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:41 am

cliff, when you say its not bonding...how bad is the layer bond? non existent and the part falls apart or the layers separate if you pry them apart with a tool?