Has anyone found a killer gold PLA filament?

The place to discuss filament...
sprior

Re: Has anyone found a killer gold PLA filament?

Post by sprior » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:32 am

Glad I could help.

I just recently got my first roll of Copperfill which actually has powdered copper mixed into the plastic (there is also Bronzefill, but no gold). I made one first test print with the copper, but haven't yet done the finish prep required to make it nice and shiny. This is the only filament which might give the kind of metal finish you and I are looking for.

rixpix247

Post by rixpix247 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:43 am

Yes! Sprior exactly, I too have built parts built in copper-fil and bronze-fil, but I am waiting for the $$ to buy a certain rock tumbler to do the polishing work for moi. Researched several ways to 'finish' the parts and saw a rock tumbler that did a pretty nice job given the correct polishing media.

Brass-fill might be a pretty gold-ish one too if they ever make it.

Currently I'm trying to work with Colorfabb's XT and pulling my hair out. Waiting for help from here on that too!

This forum's members are AWESOME!!

Rick

sprior

Post by sprior » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:56 am

Which tumbler did you find?

rixpix247

Post by rixpix247 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:35 am

Sprior, I wanted a unit that most of my M2 parts would fit into, so I wanted to get this larger one...

Model B Heavy Duty 15# Rock Tumbler by Tru-square Metal Products... $208.00 Amazon, with great reviews.

Deluxe, large 7.5 x 6.5 I.D. capacity hexagon rubber barrel.
Quiet, efficient operation.
Well-suited for the serious rock hobbyist or for the sportsman as a case polisher
Overload protection, continuous duty, fan-cooled motor.

ANOTHER ONE... bigger maybe?...

Lortone Lortone QT-12 Rotary Rock Tumbler, by Lortone... $216.00 Amazon, four reviews
Larger size...
Dimensions 11L x 12.5W inches
Professional quality rock tumbler
10-sided molded-rubber barrel
Large 12 lb. capacity drum

There are cheaper ones, but these are durable, quiet and large capacity. I saw one used with Bronze-fill using little stainless steel pins for polishing media, and it did polish it but it left it's own stainlessy blackish coloration on the bronze. So I want to try maybe brass or bronze pins that are a similar color to the bronze. I am also very anxious to try the copper-fill too.

Stainless steel media...
Stainless Steel Tumbling Media Pins - 0.047" Diameter, 0.255" Length (5 lb Pack), by guntap

I wonder how a BeeBee gun BB's would work also...

Now to save some coinage, after I arm wrestle the Colorfabb XT! :)