esun petg

The place to discuss filament...
Quark

Re: esun petg

Post by Quark » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:54 am

Ah, okay. I haven't run into a fat section yet, so its been okay. It hasn't affected my prints very much in terms of quality, but does affect my dimensional stuff. I mostly print things that require a certain level of dimensional accuracy. Haven't tried their PLA yet, but for the price compared to say, MakerGear stuff, I think I'm willing to compromise a bit.

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:33 pm

Jules wrote:Spectacular job! (Would love to see a follow up pic with your lizard enjoying his new perch! :P )

That's got to be one heck of hefty lizard! :lol:
Now you need to do something for your cats! Our cats fun for the day or at least an hour anyway is pouncing on the dog, from ambush. Dotty our dog is so unsuspecting, she is always fair game.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

MGuser

Post by MGuser » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:17 pm

I'm on my third roll of eSun opaque black petg and have not adjusted anything yet.

mjohnsonsa

Post by mjohnsonsa » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:10 am

What solvent can I use to soak the brass nozzles in that have been used for PETG? I regularly clear them out with a wire through the nozzle but there is still junk on the inside of the brass nozzle that causes problems. I would like to soak them and clean the PETG completely out (like using Acetone on ABS). What solvent will melt the PETG? I also tried using a torch but it just charred the PETG inside the nozzle and now it is all black but not removed :-(

Thanks,
Matt

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:35 pm

Matt, the correct solvent for petg, polycarb, pla and most plastics is methylene chloride also known as dichloromethane. You will only find it locally in paint stripper. You can pick it up from sellers on ebay by the qt. be careful with it. Its far more hazardous to your health than acetone

insta

Post by insta » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:33 pm

To be fair, acetone is pretty harmless to humans. We produce it as a natural metabolic process, so our bodies know how to handle it pretty well.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:27 am

insta wrote:To be fair, acetone is pretty harmless to humans.
Yes, but methylene chloride has been implicated in actual deaths. Granted, that was with people who unwisely decided to use paint stripper on a bathtub in a small, unventilated room, but still. . .

The paint stripper, though, might be better for soaking than the pure stuff. Pure methylene chloride is so volatile that it evaporates out of the closed and capped bottle I use for applying it. Leave it on the table for a few days and it's just gone.

mjohnsonsa

Post by mjohnsonsa » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:52 am

Okay Thanks. How long would you recommend soaking a nozzle in paint stripper for if I go that route instead of buying the pure stuff?

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:20 pm

Tim wrote:use paint stripper on a bathtub in a small, unventilated room
Whereas acetone would just blow you through the side of the building into the neighbor's yard ...

insta

Post by insta » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:52 pm

mjohnsonsa wrote:Okay Thanks. How long would you recommend soaking a nozzle in paint stripper for if I go that route instead of buying the pure stuff?
Until it's clean.

It's a dumb answer but we don't know how strong your paint thinner is. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner that'll speed it up greatly.

Is this on a V3 or V4 nozzle?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org