esun petg

The place to discuss filament...
jdacal

Re: esun petg

Post by jdacal » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:04 am

jimc wrote:yeah it is interesting. i cant see how your nozzle would even go over that without breaking something or skipping steps. on another note....got a good view it looks like of the outside of your house! :lol:
Thanks, the camera went rogue on me! I'll be leaving town for a couple of weeks on business so you'll just get the garbage bag view of the printer until the second week in December. :)
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:00 am

finally getting a chance tonight to print with this stuff. im not too far into a print but so far it seems extremely close to the colorfabb xt. one thing i can tell with this and the xt is that they are very sensitive to over extrusion and too tight a bed gap. if your first few layers look a little fuzzy then the bed gap is too tight. if your infill or top surfaces look the same way say after layer 10 or so then again thats a sign of over extrusion. i got mine printing really close but just noticed the fuzz sticking up ever so slightly during the infill and i could hear the nozzle dragging a little. in the control panel i just dropped it 2% and within 3 layers all the fuzz is gone. the fuzz is what collects on the nozzle over time. couple other things i have noticed. i think the fan is somewhat necessary....at least on smaller parts. i turned my fan off mid print and my 25% infill started to go downhill from there. after about 10 layers of it off, the infill started to get broken and holes. i turned it back on and after about another 10 layers it was back to being good again. as for temp, i am finding 250 to be about the sweet spot. i tried a small test print at 235 and it printed fine but the great layer adhesion this stuff gets wasnt there. i bumped it back up to 250 and it was good again. i would give it a range of 245-255. honestly you can probably print it much higher if you wanted but really not necessary and i have yet to test it. speeds should be slowed down a bit. my print speed is 3200. i have been printing lately with my perimeter speed really low to get clean walls free of resonance marks. that i have set at 30%. my coast is off, retract is 2mm and wipe is at 5mm. thats it for the moment and with my limited testing. these settings are exactly what i had for colorfabb xt only retract was slightly less. keep in mind i am running an e3d so those of you with a v3b may need a little more retract and maybe even a little coast. v4....i have no idea. i think that has a shorter hot zone as well so my e3d ooze settings might be close.

insta

Post by insta » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:54 pm

I printed myself a pretty little cube. My settings were normal speed, bed at 75C with hairspray, nozzle at 250C, extrusion at 120% of PLA.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

sprior

Post by sprior » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Some woodturners make Christmas tree ornaments out of sea urchins and I saw some last year and bought some shells. My wife has been asking about printing some ornaments. So just for kicks I designed upper and lower finials for one of the urchin shells and gave it a shot and printed them with the new PETG. Next time I'd make the stem a lot more slender, but this was a first guess.
Attachments
IMG_3162 - small.JPG
(454.11 KiB) Downloaded 733 times

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:50 pm

cool steve. tall skinny objects are usually a little tough. how did the petg work out for you. hard to tell from the pic. looks pretty good though. maybe i see some fuzzies on the short section? prob from the overhang?

sprior

Post by sprior » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:59 pm

It worked out pretty well. Most of the fuzziness was caused by support that got removed. The bigger bottom piece stuck to the bed very well the first time. The second smaller piece took 3 tries to get it to stick. I'm using an aluminum bed and glue stick.

ErikAkia

Post by ErikAkia » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:06 pm

My blue and red went the long way around. Apparently Greensboro, NC is in between Denver and Lyons.
I hope to be able to pick it up tomorrow.
Screen Shot 2014-11-30 at 3.02.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-30 at 3.02.40 PM.png (95.13 KiB) Viewed 9524 times

insta

Post by insta » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:01 pm

One of my spools had a print-failing bulge roughly 4 hours into the plastic (not sure how many meters...), in the clear PET. Checking another spool for the same problem...
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

hybridprinter

Post by hybridprinter » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:57 am

Do you guys feel petg will replace abs?

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:09 pm

hybridprinter wrote:Do you guys feel petg will replace abs?
There are so many plastic variants that come out every month that I wouldn't dare to make such a statement. However, something is going to replace ABS, although it may end up being an ABS variant rather than a PET variant. For me, though, I've always steered away from ABS due to its difficulties, and have provisionally accepted PET+ and PETg. They do have their limitations, but those limitations don't require building a heated enclosure around the printer.