esun petg

The place to discuss filament...
Tim

Re: esun petg

Post by Tim » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:58 pm

I never print in "vase mode"; one filament thickness is just too flimsy.

The best thing to do is to model it in OpenSCAD (or anything that has real boolean operators; I assume Fusion 360 can do it?), then shrink the model and subtract it from the original volume. That's what I did to get the vase I printed that's somewhere up earlier in this forum thread. I had 4 or 5 filament widths to the walls, but it still looks great in the PETg. I guess the other choice is to print an outer shell in color and inner shells in transparent PET, or print with blue and yellow (which will come out green and yellow) or magenta and yellow (which will come out red or reddish orange, and yellow). But I know even the colorless and yellow filaments lose much of their transparency when layered, which is unfortunate. Taulman was working on an "optically clear" filament, but that was in a Kickstarter campaign that didn't make enough money, so I don't know when/if they will be marketing it.

jsc

first PETG print

Post by jsc » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:30 am

The drawer pulls I printed in PLA tended to snap at the stress points after a while, so I decided to finally unpack my PETG roll and try it instead of redesigning the part. Went back through this thread for some insight on temps, and chose 250/100. Bed adhesion was good, but next time I might try 255 as I got a few missed perimeter threads around the inside corner in the upper left, where the thread didn't adhere and cut the corner. Looks very nice, printed beautifully, and hopefully will be tougher than PLA.
Attachments
drawerpull.jpg
drawerpull.jpg (110.97 KiB) Viewed 9456 times

intservo

Post by intservo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:44 am

I got PETG in stock now. It is available on Amazon (search "esun petg") there and prime eligible. Also available on http://www.intservo.com

For new users, you can use below discount code. The code is applicable to everything on intservo.com:
PETGGEAR10OFFALL

You can also use below code on Amazon for your first PETG order: PETGNEWC which is 10% off your purchase. Below is the amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... =esun+petg

And thank you all for the experiments and comments. Opaque color is in schedule but will be available early March now. ESUN decided that SLA filament got higher priority :(

ESUN did release bronzefill recently. I am planning to lift some bronzefill and wood here for interested people later this month. If interested, do shoot me an email.

Thanks,
William

JohnnyRobot

Post by JohnnyRobot » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:10 am

Is this supposed to be... flexi?

My sample prints have a slightly flexible quality to them. I'm not sure why... I was under the impression that PETG was rigid.

I printed a 25mm X 25mm X 2mm plate. It's easy to bend, and slow to return to shape. Is this expected?

Temp: 248
Infill: Solid
Speed: 40mm/sec
cooling fan: 60%
╒═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╕
-- Hi! No signature here.
╘═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╛

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:14 am

its definitely more flexible than abs but nowhere near as much as nylon. it depends on how thick your part is also. thin parts will flex without breaking. larger parts are much more rigid. its very similar to plexiglass. you can actually buy petg sheets as a plexi replacement. properties are similar. your plate is only 2mm. that would flex in abs as well.

JohnnyRobot

Post by JohnnyRobot » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:25 pm

A thing of beauty.

Great layer adhesion (water-tight), strong, shiny, and really easy to work with... Me likey.

insta

Post by insta » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:52 pm

Can you post that picture, and your settings, in my "filaments that work" thread?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

JohnnyRobot

Post by JohnnyRobot » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:06 pm

insta wrote:Can you post that picture, and your settings, in my "filaments that work" thread?
Can do.

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:38 pm

jimc wrote:as for temp, i am finding 250 to be about the sweet spot. i tried a small test print at 235 and it printed fine but the great layer adhesion this stuff gets wasnt there. i bumped it back up to 250 and it was good again. i would give it a range of 245-255.
Jimc, when you quote these temperatures I am assuming it is for the E3D. How does that translate to v3b/v4 temps? Are they roughly equivalent or 20 degrees higher/lower?

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:50 pm

Jin i found the e3d temps to be equivelant to the v3b. I never really saw a difference when i switched over