Another bad roll

The place to discuss filament...
Capt. John

Another bad roll

Post by Capt. John » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:47 pm

Purchased off Amazon this roll has a tangle and a break in the last 1/3 of the spool.
This is the 3rd spool that's had breaks in it. Ratio of good to bad is poor in ABS off
Amazon and Makergeek. Purchased around 20 spools, 2 I had to return, 3 with tangled
breaks says 25% of the time ...we get more junk crap from China.
ABS.jpg
ABS.jpg (308.58 KiB) Viewed 5553 times
Printing cost comes into play, ABS is a good choice for strength and resistance to heat
for the price. PET+ is better, but at twice the expense. Personal projects PET
is my choice, To mass produce ABS for my diver ring project where I'm making/printing
250 diver rings, ABS helps the profit margin.

The many selections in ABS gives us wide spectrum in colors, so ABS has a leg up
over the newer more exotic filaments like PET+.

Beware and keep an eye on your spools for breaks so you don't have to scrap
a print that might take hours to do is the motive behind this post.
All MG filament is excellent, but the colors are limited.
Capt. John
Manistee, Michigan
Reel Amateur at 3D printing
Fishing Tackle Manufacturer & Webmaster for:
http://www.michiganangler.com
http://www.michigansportsman.com

insta

Re: Another bad roll

Post by insta » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:31 pm

So you know, that intservo guy who did the group-buy for PETG is running some "black friday" specials.

BLA20OFF for Amazon (esun only) and BLACK30OFFABSPLA on intservo.com (sorry if this is too commercial -- I figured if he cut us a deal on the PETG I could try and give back somewhat).
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jimc

Re: Another bad roll

Post by jimc » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:38 pm

i have had spools just like that john. same color as well. same supplier. was the reprapper stuff. i found their stuff to actually print very well but it was so hit and miss on the rolls. some rolls would be great and other would be like broken spaghetti. with the prices of filament coming down here in the us, there is no reason to buy the cheap junk anymore. i know makergear sells their stuff which is very good. im not sure where the pricing is on that since i havent looked in a long time. there are a few places to buy from here in the US that extrude their own stuff, its all extremely good and priced the same or less than the chinese junk. as far as esun goes, i would have to say that is the chinese exception. joseph from toybuilders labs has a long time and unbelievable reputation for extremely good and consistent filament and their stuff is esun. the deal william has goin on with the discount insta mentioned is crazy good. i am hoping in the future the esun petg will expand to more color. i would like to see an opaque black. im sure the 4 they have now is an initial offering to see how it goes over. im going to try out a roll of the wood filament that intervo has as well. when that happens ill give a small review. it will be the first wood filament i tried.