Has anyone tried out Semiflex on a v3b hotend?

The place to discuss filament...
msmollin

Has anyone tried out Semiflex on a v3b hotend?

Post by msmollin » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:16 pm

Title pretty much says it all. I know original ninjaflex doesn't print well at all on the v3b and that supposedly the v4 fixes that (but feel free to say otherwise!) Since semiflex is more rigid, I'm curious if the v3b's will be able to handle it. I have a project that needs a kinda-sorta flexible material for some part of it, but it doesn't have to be like rubber-band elasticity. It's basically piping that needs to move a little when the model it's attached to is handled. Nothing load bearing or really touched... just accent parts.

If you have managed to print with it, what settings did you use for temperature / speed / retraction / etc.?

Link for those interested - http://www.ninjaflex3d.com/products/nin ... filaments/

insta

Re: Has anyone tried out Semiflex on a v3b hotend?

Post by insta » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:50 pm

NinjaFlex prints fine on the V3b -- I've done it. It prints better on the V4, but so does everything else. The V4 is an awesome hotend.

The problems we run into with NinjaFlex are that the 1.75mm stuff is almost too flexible for its own good and it has a tendency to get eaten up by the extruder gear.

Use the ABS profile, up the flow by 25%, turn down the speed to 25mm/s, and turn up the temperature to 250C. That's what I use for NinjaFlex and it comes out fine.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:56 pm

Part of the problem can be the extruder mount---for flexible filament, it is preferable to have the entire filament path lined with PTFE tubing. Otherwise, with a printed extruder mount, the filament is running through a hole that has ridges and imperfections and whatnot. Above the extruder gear, it's probably okay; it's being pulled down by the gear. Between the gear and the hot-end is the critical point.

I've also heard that for the more flexible filament types (Ninjaflex, Filaflex), it's even helpful to replace the normal filament guide tube with PTFE, because it's squishy and difficult for the extruder gear to get a good grip on, so enough binding back in the tube, and it's going to slip on the gear. Probably a spool holder with bearings is a good idea in that case, too.

msmollin

Post by msmollin » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:17 pm

Insta - thanks for the update on the v3b + Ninjaflex. You are making me want my v4 pre-order to ship faster!

So wow, 250C? That seems crazy high but I do recall there's a 20 degree dip to the tip-end for the v3b so that would drop it down to normal ABS levels. That's what we're aiming for, yes?

Tim - interesting on the PTFE tube. Do you have a good source for it? I found this stuff with what seems a good inner diameter but unsure of quality - http://www.amazon.com/Fluorotherm-F0150 ... 00KJDK1N4/

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:25 pm

the filament tube that is stock with the m2 is supposed to be some type of ptfe. i ordered some from mcmaster a long time ago and what i got was the same exact stuff. now i recently got some extra when i ordered my e3dv6 just for the inner sleeve and theirs is white and super slippery. its definitely different from the MG and mcmaster stuff. you can get that tubing from printed solid, filastruder and i also see makergeeks has some that is supposed to be really slippery low friction.

davycroc

Post by davycroc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:12 am

I have printed NinjaFlex on a v3b as well...but with a self-designed 3mm extruder.
I just got a roll of Semiflex in, so I will try it this week.

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:34 am

jimc wrote:the filament tube that is stock with the m2 is supposed to be some type of ptfe
Really? It seems quite different; I thought it was just polyurethane. Is PTFE ever as clear as the filament guide tubing that comes with the M2? I wouldn't think it worth the cost to use PTFE unless you're working with flexible or semi-flexible filament.
msmollin wrote:interesting on the PTFE tube. Do you have a good source for it?
I also got mine from Amazon:

2.0 mm ID PTFE Teflon Tube for 1.75 mm Filament RepRap-DIY 3D Printer Parts - 4.5' Piece
Sold by BioWaves
Condition: New

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C45208O/ref ... TE_3p_dp_1

I was looking for a filament guide tube as well as having some left over for putting in filament guides; the 4 1/2' length is good for that, and the tubing is good quality as far as I can tell (definitely can't tell anything from the photo on the web page!).

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:38 am

thats what i thought too tim but i ordered ptfe from mcmaster and got the same thing thats on the m2. its nowhere near as slippery as the stuff i got from filastruder.

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:59 am

Should be able to tell whether it's PTFE or polyurethane with a melt test. . .

tefcap

Post by tefcap » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:24 pm

For the melt test just take the material up to 625 F and if it turns from a milky white to clear than you have PTFE. If it starts to melt, mis-shape and flow before that temp than you DO NOT have PTFE.

http://www.tefcap.com/summary-of-properties/