White PLA

The place to discuss filament...
telephone1652

White PLA

Post by telephone1652 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:38 pm

So I picked up a spool of white PLA from Makergear and am having a hell of a time getting it dialed in. The infill begins on the first two layers as the straight lines that one would expect, and then becomes sparse and blobby, leaving a curdled looking layer full of holes, which in turn causes holes in the top surface. Has anyone else had this problem?

It seems to be happening across temperature (I've tried from 230 to 205). I've also tried varying the extrusion width from 0.35 to 0.44 and have still had problems. Incidentally, the black Makergear PLA I had been using worked beautifully at all temps and with an extrusion width of 0.35.

I'm running one of the older, two supply printers with a V3b hot end.

benavery

Re: White PLA

Post by benavery » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:25 pm

Sounds like its not extruding cleanly, which could either be too low temperature (though if you say it happens at 230, seems unlikely to be the issue), or the hotend is getting semi-clogged somehow - which I would guess can happen if its dragging thru the previous layer. Does the first layer look okay,ie not too sparse and not too smooshed ? Maybe try dropping the extrusion multiplier a bit.

jsc

Re: White PLA

Post by jsc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:20 pm

Can you provide a picture? Sometimes a lot of different situations can be described in more or less the same words, and it would help to see if anyone else has had a similar issue.