Spool Jamming

The place to discuss filament...
cosmic1953

Spool Jamming

Post by cosmic1953 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:04 pm

Anyone have problems with the filament spool jamming? I have some silver PLA 1.75 (from MakerGear) that was fine for the first half of the spool, but then started jamming. The filament was put on the spool in such a way that later winds were overlaid by earlier winds. Not sure how this is possible except maybe too much filament was placed on one half of the spool, then the other half... while some of the first half 'falls' onto the second windings(?)

This is causing the spool to stop feeding, ruining long prints.

jimc

Re: Spool Jamming

Post by jimc » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:40 pm

as far as i know its not common with makergear filament but tangles are a common issue with some brands. the biggest cause of this though is when you remove the filament from the machine and let go of the end of the filament. it only has to slip out of your hands once and your done. you need to print filament clips or use the holes in the spool but NEVER let the end go,

insta

Post by insta » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:02 am

cosmic1953 wrote:Anyone have problems with the filament spool jamming? I have some silver PLA 1.75 (from MakerGear) that was fine for the first half of the spool, but then started jamming. The filament was put on the spool in such a way that later winds were overlaid by earlier winds. Not sure how this is possible except maybe too much filament was placed on one half of the spool, then the other half... while some of the first half 'falls' onto the second windings(?)

This is causing the spool to stop feeding, ruining long prints.
I'm going to side with jimc here and throw you under the bus, I think this was something you did, sorry :(

(unless you literally never took it off the machine, and it wasn't twisted when you took it out of the packaging, in which case contact MG)
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:28 am

Un-wedging a spool came up a while ago, with a link to a how-to video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE9LchCtKL4

I suppose the worst case scenario would involve spilling all the filament on the floor while trying to locate the fault...

cosmic1953

Post by cosmic1953 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:53 am

Thanks, all. I must have gotten a line crossed somewhere along the way... :( Its on a long print now... guess I'll have to camp on it... although it hasn't had the problem since I clipped it mid-stream and re-fed the filament back into the extruder.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:59 am

i have lost the end on a spool a couple times and it got crossed. you cant tell sometimes as the tangle just moves along and unwinds with it then eventually snags. if you watch it closely though you may be able to see if its doing that. hopefully you got it though