The place to discuss filament...
Jules

Re: Semiflex (same makers as Ninjaflex)

Post by Jules » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:03 pm

That's very helpful! :D

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:33 pm

This is a hood for an FPV monitor in Semiflex. 2mm wall with .5mm recesses. There is a channel around the rim of the case matching the profile in photo#2 in the previous post that holds the hood on. It yields without being floppy, you can see that it just does sag a bit in the middle, but it is not bad at all and will flex as needed when bumped. You can also see the fine retraction hairs.

I also found I can weld this together with a soldering iron set for 250ºC. I welded on a strap across the front span afterwards to help hold it onto the frame. It was a bit too floppy to hold itself on, but now with a gentle stretch, it stays put.

There was a difference in how the Semiflex felt at this scale versus the small test blocks. Still tough as nails, but it can start to sag under it's own weight, but not badly. With walls this thin, this was a dense print that had no internal structure at all. Just something to keep in mind.

Pretty happy with this stuff so far.
Attachments
hood.jpg
hood.jpg (82.99 KiB) Viewed 5979 times
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:38 pm

OK, did a temp test and printed using PLA settings with a couple of tweaks. I am using a mix of rsilvers PLA settings and LonV

Pics are blocks with 2 walls 10% fill. Both are near indestructible, but check out the fill at 250º vs 230º. Quality! I intentionally ripped these off the bed within seconds of being printed and started twisting them around. I could make the one on the left turn itself inside out. I could not tear the inner fill at all on the one on the right. I cannot get over how tough this filament is! :)
Attachments
temp.jpg
There is no infill in the 250º print, just wisps.
temp.jpg (57.81 KiB) Viewed 5959 times
Last edited by willnewton on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:51 pm

As you can see in the pic, it takes detail decently as well and is quite shiny.

I am printing with a V4 hot end and will be keeping the temps at close to the 230ºC recommendations with no fan and bed at 50ºC with blue tape, no supports. Here is my FFF file as it stand currently for you to download and try.
Attachments
Semiflexfilament1.0.fff.zip
(3.03 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
antpro.jpg
antpro.jpg (49.56 KiB) Viewed 5959 times