Ninjaflex with Simplify3D

The place to discuss filament...
jimc

Re: Ninjaflex with Simplify3D

Post by jimc » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:35 am

thats pretty much a good starting point for you. you may need some tweaking from there once you do some prints. as for the tubing link. i guess thats it but there is only one way to know and thats to buy it and see. the makergear stuff is teflon but its not a pure formula or something. its just not as slippery as the true teflon stuff. check out makergeeks.com. i have heard their stuff is the real thing.

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:19 pm

I use McMaster part number 52335K32.

It is $2.54 per foot. I believe there is a 5-foot minimum. Your link looks fine to me, and will cost less with shipping.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:57 pm

Yeah unfortunately the mcmaster stuff isnt it. Ta not slippery to the degree that pure teflon is. It will also be opaque white when you find it. The stuff that comes with the e3d hot ends is the real stuff. Printed solid, filastruder and makergeeks are your sure fire bet. Otherwise its a shot in the dark. I was told that if you find real stuff it wont be avail in long lengths like 15ft or anything like that. If you do then its not real teflon. Something about the manufacturing process and it being made from compressed powder.

atomholc

Post by atomholc » Fri May 08, 2015 4:58 pm

Hey Makers,

Thanks for all the help and input. I have successfully printed a number of pieces with Ninjaflex. Woot!!!
I am using a Makergear M2 with the V3b extruder and Simplify 3d software.

Here is the summary of my experiment:
- Used a new nozzle dedicated to the filament. (but not necessary if you clean the one you got)
- Set extruder to 250C
- set speed to 1100 mm/min (this creates painfully slow print times but right now I don't feel like trying to push it any faster)
- hot bed set to 50C - I do recommend that you use hairspray on the glass before printing although you don't have too, on a rare occasion the piece would warp up from the glass (see image below)
- I use the side mounted spool with no issues
- set infill percentage to 90%
- Ive been printing at 'high'
- Set Extrusion multiplier to 1.0, the retraction distance up to 1.5mm (I found this on another post, I am not sure what it means but since my prints are working I am going to stick with it)

Helpful Tip when setting up the filament:
When setting up the filament and extruding to test the flow it would get jammed in the drive. This would happen when I would hit the 100 button twice, I guess the filament can't keep up with the default speed? Fortunately it's no biggie and you can easily disassemble the drive to unjam it in about 30 seconds. I would recommend when you first set up the filament to extrude it just enough for the filament to come out out of the nozzle then hit print.

I am including some pics of what I am working on. I am going to sew these on to trucker hats for some festival swag.

Check it out with LED lights added.
https://instagram.com/p/2aRRN1SbKZ/

Why you should use hairspray, fortunately the other 2 letters managed to print OK on this 7.5 hr run :)

Making it flashy with some Adafruit hardware

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri May 08, 2015 8:03 pm

Thanks for the writeup, nice prints.

To learn more about extrusion multiplier, check out viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1964. It's a parameter you should calibrate to get dimensionally accurate extrusion and nice solid infill.

I haven't done any flexible filament printing, but my recollection from other discussions is that 1.5mm retraction is fine for non-flex filaments, but you should use much less for flexible, and ideally never retract at all.

If you're using the machine control panel in Simplify3D, you can use the lower right jog dial to turn down your extrusion speed when manually extruding. Remember to set it back to 100% before starting a print.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri May 08, 2015 8:57 pm

Yes in the control panel there is also an extruder jog speed box. Default i believe is 300. Set that to 100 for loading ninjaflex. You can then purge the nozzle for whatever amt of filament you want