Printing with eSun flexible

The place to discuss filament...
jimc

Re: Printing with eSun flexible

Post by jimc » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:49 am

ok what you have sounds like what i just got here. the plasticky stuff is the original esun flex. if you stretch that filament it does not rebound like a rubber band. it stays kinda stretched out. what i have here matches your color description but it is rubbery but not like the ninjaflex clone. the clone is what i think they are planning to release in a bunch of different colors. that stuff you cant pull apart. it sticks to everything just like ninjaflex. this new white stuff i just got is definitely a little different. i have not printed it yet though. ill do something with it tomorrow.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:02 pm

Wiiliam responded to my e-mail and said it was OK to repost the following info. There is some flex filament testing going on, so that explains the different characteristics in the filaments.
1. current eSUN flex on market is bio-degradeable, white color. as jim said it is flex but it is not like rubberband.

2. the clear flex jim and some other folks tried, that went through 3 different trial formulas and the last formula was confirmed by jim that it is very much like ninjaflex. It is elastic.

3. the current trial sample which you tested, is another formula which is more flexible but not as elastic than No.2

Both No.2 and No.3 are planned to be on market with many colors, after the trials. ESUN is adjusting equipment for these rubber based materials. Planned to release in September.

No.1 will continue to be on market for people or labs where bio-degradeable is a must.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:16 pm

Also, Esun/Intservo is looking for a couple of folks to try a sample of this same flex filament as well and send back some feedback, preferably someone with experience with other flexible filaments. Contact Intservo directly for more info.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:34 pm

Good info. Thats pretty much what i thought but nice to have a confirmation.

intservo

Post by intservo » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:01 pm

Jim just a short update. The No.2 is not a clone of ninjaflex, just very similar characteristics wise. :D They produced the original 3 formula candidates before our testing and recommendation. From what I know, even the base rubber is different, plus other different ingredients to change its properties. And ours have a bit lower printing temp.
Latest one is a new kind for people who want more flexible, still rubber based. Anyone interested for trial let me know. Guess there are many rubber variants I am not expert on chemical ;) thanks. will.

treat1

Re: eSun eLastic 2017 - My Solution to Jamming

Post by treat1 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:29 am

I came to this thread that was over a year old looking for some advice. I bought some eSun eLastic and even at 30mm/sec (1800mm/min) I kept having the filament wrap around the filament drive gear after only a very short printing.

I didn't like how the original (V4) had the flexible filament sort of kinked as it entered the filament drive so I downloaded the R3 filament drive from GitHUB (https://github.com/MakerGear/M2/blob/ma ... e%20r3.STL). This drive among other things hold the filament feed tube. I printed the part in PETG (eSun) and then drilled out the filament path with a 2mm drill bit. This appears to have totally stopped the mis-feed/jamming of the filament. I just got finished with a 10 hour print job (whereas with the original filament drive it jammed in less than 10 minutes).

I'm no expert in printing but I had pretty good results (still a little stringing) with the following extruder settings in Simplify 3D (note I have put in a 0.50mm extruder nozzle to make my big prints go faster but I kept to the recommended maximum 30mm/sec max feed rate):

Nozzle Diameter: 0.50mm
Extrusion Multiplier: .90 (less than this I was not getting good connection on layer fills, more than this would loose detail)
Retraction Distance: 4mm (you need a LOT of retraction due to the filament being stretchy -- this reduced the stringyness)

Retraction Speed: 1800 (=30mm/sec - same as print speed)

OTHER Settings
Default Print Speed: 1800 mm/min (=30mm/sec)

LAYER:
Primary 0.26mm (note, I am using a .50 mm nozzle)

All the other settings were the same as for PLA.

Jimbobtx3

Post by Jimbobtx3 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:41 am

Hi, old thread but having problems with this filament.

I'm trying to extrude esun eflex through a micro swiss all metal hotend. I really don't want to change the hotend or drive every time I want to print flex and I don't think I need to just need to get the settings right.

When I first feed the eflex in it feeds and extrudes just fine. I can cool the hotend right down then reheat and manually extrude again without blockages. Once I try to print a part however, it blocks immediately.

Tried these settings,

feed: 1500m/min
retraction set to zero and retraction set to 1500m/min trialed
layer height: 0.4mm
nozzle temp: 240degC
bed temp: 60degC

What am I doing wrong? After I attempt a print and the nozzle blocks I cannot get anything to extrude even manually. Running a bit of nylon or PLA through unblocks things.

Phil

Post by Phil » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:34 pm

What nozzle are you using? I use a 0.50mm SS nozzle for all flexibles. I have tried smaller diameter nozzles, but always had issues with them.
I also use an extruder temperature on the high-end of what the filament manufacturer recommends. It might produce some stringing, but flows much better.