Polypropylene

The place to discuss filament...
BRThompson

Polypropylene

Post by BRThompson » Wed May 13, 2015 10:08 pm

We are trying to print with polypropylene without much success. We are running at 200 C and are have clogging issues at the tip. Is the temp. too high? Should we be using the large orifice size?
Thank you,
Brad

insta

Re: Polypropylene

Post by insta » Thu May 14, 2015 12:00 am

Where did you even get it?

I'd start by going to the largest nozzle you can (0.75 will print anything that's approximately plastic, including bituminous tar, mud, churches, small rocks, and so forth) , and step down sizes until it doesn't work anymore, then raise the temperature and try again. Also, go slower, of course :)
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Thu May 14, 2015 3:47 am

BRThompson wrote:We are trying to print with polypropylene without much success. We are running at 200 C and are have clogging issues at the tip. Is the temp. too high? Should we be using the large orifice size?
Thank you,
Brad
Brad, here's some info from 3ders.org:
Jan.11, 2014

You can now 3D print plates, cups and other food containers as well as children toys using food-grade Polypropylene (PP) filament. Available at German RepRap, the new Polypropylene (PP) filament is semi crystalline thermoplastics and being produced according to US FDA regulations and the relevant EU standards.

Similar as some food storage containers, PP-based models has a soapy surface and high level of flexibility. For the best results make sure your printer temperature has been set to at 210°C. PP sticks well to unheated print bed with a thick first layer. Better adhesion to the print bed can be reached by pre-heating the print bed to 80-90°C.
I'm guessing on the M2, set the bed to about 85C and set the extruder to about 220-230C. I'm guessing you're trying to print too cool.... but, again, I haven't printed PP -- just guessing what you should try based on that one reference. Let us know if bringing the temperature up helps...

Dale

telephone1652

Post by telephone1652 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:24 pm

Have you had any success with this? I'm thinking of ordering some polypro filament.