Filaments and hot ends

The place to discuss filament...
CCVirginia

Filaments and hot ends

Post by CCVirginia » Fri May 29, 2015 6:14 pm

I have just ordered a M2 as the first printer for me and my son, very excited to get started! :D
While we will start with PLA to get our feet wet, we do want at least one other "goto" material that is stronger and more heat resistant. I'm looking for thoughts on those materials, what works with the default V3 hot end and if there is an expectation we will want or need the V4.

Based on what I have read, I think we will try: HIPS and PETG, probably in that order (I have read that HIPS works well as primary as well as for fill). If those work well we may not even bother with ABS. We live near a microcenter, so it would be convenient to get it there and I understand there is only one source of PETG anyway ( not sure about HIPS ). Have mixed readings on their PLA.

Would then also like to try Nylon for some particular purposes (Have not narrowed down which one). Also, something flexible but perhaps not as much as Ninjaflex. By the way, with HIPS, can you smooth the surface with Limonene?

Question: Is the V3 head OK for all of the above? At 250 max it seems to be within the range of all these materials. Why would we or would we not want the V4? I understand that we may eventually want 2 ends for the different materials, so I don't want to get another V3 if the expectation is to switch.

Thanks - we look forward to being part of this community! I can tell you that the support and positive experience reports of this community sold the M2!

Jules

Re: Filaments and hot ends

Post by Jules » Fri May 29, 2015 7:34 pm

Hi CC,

I'm still pretty wet behind the ears, but I've been successfully printing the PLA for the last several weeks, and just made the jump to the PETG, using the V3B. Works like a charm, and it has absolutely zero odor when it prints. Love it! (You do need to be a little bit more careful with the calibration and settings - it just prints differently than PLA.)

If the microcenter PLA is the eSun brand, I've printed just about all of their colors, and they also work very well. Every once in a while, you might catch a roll that has a spot in it that is out of spec - that can cause a jam and mess up your print if you don't catch it. (But it's very rare - twice in a dozen rolls, and i just cut out the thick part and kept right on using the rolls.) You do need to fine-tune the settings for different colors.

The Makergear PLA is exceptional - very nice consistent filament diameters, very little oozing and it lays down a good bead. (They need more colors, but it is definitely the one to learn with.)

I haven't tried the ABS yet, although it's okay for the V3B. Haven't tried nylon or HIPS. (Some of the guys here have, but I think they're using the V4.)

I do have a V4 nozzle, i just haven't installed it yet. I wanted to try to print the PETG on the V3B before making the switch (for comparison) and I've been ripping through the spare parts list with the V3B - aside from the first couple of prints, (learning), it's been great. But i will eventually convert it to the V4 - it's easier to change out the nozzle on that one, and i want to try a roll of woodfill that I just ordered. A larger diameter nozzle is probably going to be better for that, so i picked up the 0.35mm and 0.5mm nozzles for the V4.

Whichever nozzle you start with, you're going to love the printer. It does so much. If you do start with the V3B, it's a pretty good idea to pick up one spare hotend for it. I jammed mine within a week, (PLA), and it was nice to have a spare on hand to keep my blood pressure down while clearing the clog. But you will probably eventually migrate to the V4....everyone who has one here raves about it.

Welcome to the group! :D

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri May 29, 2015 11:58 pm

jules about covered everything. couple things to note. hips is basically abs. it just as one missing ingredient. printing with it will be no different than with abs. it warps all the same. its always good to keep a spool of abs around but mostly you will have less frustration with petg. petg is avail from many sources. we mostly get ours from intservo though. dont quote me but microcenter abs and pla are not esun. it is toner brand....unless that changed. for nylon dont bother unless its the new taulman stuff. i think its the 910. all the others are more headache than they are worth.

insta

Post by insta » Sat May 30, 2015 7:57 am

jimc wrote:jules about covered everything. couple things to note. hips is basically abs. it just as one missing ingredient. printing with it will be no different than with abs. it warps all the same. its always good to keep a spool of abs around but mostly you will have less frustration with petg. petg is avail from many sources. we mostly get ours from intservo though. dont quote me but microcenter abs and pla are not esun. it is toner brand....unless that changed. for nylon dont bother unless its the new taulman stuff. i think its the 910. all the others are more headache than they are worth.
"Inland" brand filament at microcenter is definitely, unquestionably, eSUN as the OEM. They may be "WalMart"ing it (but are likely not), but it absolutely is eSUN. Toner plastics is another brand they carry, but it's branded as such.

Jules you should just sell me your v4.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat May 30, 2015 6:37 pm

insta wrote:Jules you should just sell me your v4.
Dude, you keepa-yo-hands-off my V4! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You can't have it - I have been re-printing all the parts for it, (and motor mounts and whatnot), using about 80%fill so that when I do install it, it will last forever and ever, amen!

I'm getting close, I hope to switch them out next week sometime. The only thing holding me up right now is a desperate need for a couple of extra hex nuts, and the fact that I've got to go to a wedding tonight, so I don't have time to go root around through the bins at the hardware store today. :cry:

dave2brecht

Post by dave2brecht » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:38 pm

I'm currently using the v4 and printing polycarb at 285degC.

For printing ABS and PLA, I prefer the v4 over the v3b. I have yet to jam the v4 with anything, it's a much better design. The v3b was good for about 1,000 hours then started to jam about once a week. I only have a couple hundred hours on the v4 but so far it's been great.