eSun Wood filament

The place to discuss filament...
Jules

Re: eSun Wood filament

Post by Jules » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:08 am

Tim wrote:
Jules wrote:Did the wood filler adhere pretty well?
You mean the stuff from Home Depot that I was using to fill in the cracks? Yes, it worked perfectly, but stains a little darker than the wood filament, which unfortunately sort of highlights the seam between the pieces. But it's not too bad. I printed three more of the chess pieces today. By Monday, I should be able to replace the main picture of my Thing on Thingiverse with a real photo.

Speaking of adhering, the wood filament adheres to my glass bed (with hairspray) maybe a little too well. It does not pop off any easier when the glass cools to room temperature. I end up compressing it slightly when I get the razor blade under it to pull it off the glass; it's hard not to put a dent in it, because the wood filament is pretty soft. If it weren't for that, I think there wouldn't be any cracks to fill. The pieces I'm printing are pretty small, so maybe it's not very representative, but I get zero warp or shrinkage out of this stuff. None at all.
Didn't think about that - I'm using Kapton tape with hairspray. Maybe it sticks better to bare glass. (Or maybe the bed level problems were affecting it, which I think I noticed after finishing that print.) I might have to go make some adjustments to the write-up on it. (And i had zip warp and shrinkage with it too.)

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:46 am

i got a spool of esun wood filament today. for anyone thinking about buying it i just wanted to make a note on this stuff. the spool is .5kg but dont go thinking its a 1/2 size or mini spool. its darn close to a full spool. i would say 9/10 of what is on a 1kg spool of abs or pla. the wood stuff is just so light that .5kg fills a normal sized spool.

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:08 pm

Here's the Rhino file if anyone else wants to play with/improve on it. :D
Barrel_tall.zip
(1.47 MiB) Downloaded 370 times

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:54 pm

thanks. dont need to improve on it really but i do need it solid so there arent open spaces between the wood slats.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:28 am

That will be a challenge. Let me see if I saved my original shot at it, which didn't have spaces between the slats, just a groove - i didn't like it as well and went a different route with the open slats.

(But even in rough form, it might be easier for you to rework.)