eSUN wood filament

The place to discuss filament...
minusbacon

Re: eSUN wood filament

Post by minusbacon » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:16 pm

Figured I'd bump this rather than open a new thread about the same filament.

Tim, and anyone else that has used this filament, could you please explain the settings that worked for you with this filament?

I just grabbed a spool of this. Just loaded it up and starting to do all the usual calibrations. This stuff is making me nervous and I haven't printed a calibration cube yet.

Ran some cleaning filament through the nozzle before feeding the wood filament. Feeding it through and extruding a bit went as usual, but I noticed the filament expands when it comes out of the nozzle. Sort of puffs up, like air is being put through the melted filament. The extruder sat idle while at operating temp for a couple minutes while I was getting other things ready to print a calibration cube. I decided to manually extrude (extrude buttons in S3D) a little more before starting the print, I could hear the feed hear going but nothing was extruding. Took about 5-7 seconds before anything actually extruded from the nozzle, like it was partially clogged. Paused and extruded a few times and found that this happened every time. Once it's extruding it continues extruding fine but it takes 5+ seconds to actually start coming out of the nozzle. I tried different temps, 210 - 220, but it didn't make any difference. This "delay" has never happened with other filaments-- it extrudes almost instantly when I extrude some manually.

I checked the extruder filament feed gear marks on the filament and those are perfect. So the feed gear isn't gripping to much or not enough.

I just ran some more cleaner filament through my nozzle just to make sure there wasn't a clog. Went through perfectly.

I really wanted to print something with this filament right now but I'm going to save myself the time/stress until I hear back from someone that has experience with this stuff.

Tim

Post by Tim » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:44 am

I just used settings for PLA with the wood filament. There is a bit of effort to get it going, and likewise it wants to keep dripping forever after it stops. That causes it to make a huge stringy mess every time I print something with it, but on the other hand, the stringy mess just sands right off. It will print a bit better once it gets going; print a fairly wide brim so that it has plenty of time to get started after purging. The more time the nozzle is on the print and the less in the air, the better, which means it's generally better to print one object at a time. For my chess set, though, I managed to do four or five pieces at a time, and it worked out okay. Like I said, it looked like a complete mess when it was popped off the bed, but give this stuff a good sanding and it looks fantastic.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:59 am

Yeah its been a while since i used it but ifni remember right it was just standard pla settings. I dont remember any excess stringing ir anything luke that bit i only printed one part similar to tims chess piece. I remenber it printed super clean.