flexible support material

The place to discuss filament...
jimc

flexible support material

Post by jimc » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:47 am

so what is this non soluble, flexible support material on the makergear upgrades page?

insta

Re: flexible support material

Post by insta » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:59 pm

I've got some. Waiting for my dual-struder machine to finish its backlog before I test it out. I have no other information on it other than it arrived in a hella-sealed mylar bag.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:19 am

So. . . can anybody say what this material is? Is it useful?

insta

Post by insta » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:24 pm

I can't make it work. :? PVA is a lot easier to use, and HIPS even moreso.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:10 am

insta wrote:I can't make it work. PVA is a lot easier to use, and HIPS even more so.
What's the principle behind this stuff? I saw a similar idea being floated by PolyMakr as something they might do a kickstarter on one day, and they had a few photos of something they were working on. But I don't get how you're supposed to get anything to stick properly to it while printing but release after the print is done. If it's sticky when hot but slippery when cool, then it's going to stop adhering as soon as the bed fan hits it. With PVA and HIPS, the release mechanism is obvious.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:17 am

they actually just released that stuff tim. i emailed their customer svc on it to get some more info. unfortunately its for pla only.

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:33 pm

Tim wrote:What's the principle behind this stuff? I saw a similar idea being floated by PolyMakr as something they might do a kickstarter on one day, and they had a few photos of something they were working on. But I don't get how you're supposed to get anything to stick properly to it while printing but release after the print is done. If it's sticky when hot but slippery when cool, then it's going to stop adhering as soon as the bed fan hits it. With PVA and HIPS, the release mechanism is obvious.
Makes sense to me, you only need it to stick for the moment that you lay down the overhung filament. once that filament is cooled, its pretty much it's own support, with a bit of a rocker support underneath.