ESUN EPC polycarbonte filament

The place to discuss filament...
rsilvers

Re: ESUN EPC polycarbonte filament

Post by rsilvers » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:30 pm

I have GizmoDorks PC and was able to get good larger prints from it, but only using an enclosure that I made. I am not sure I will buy more of it because I learned that the bonding strength makes it weaker than PLA in the layer direction, even though it is stronger in the other direction. May as well just use PETG.

I like how PETG does not absorb water, among the other nice things about it.

While clear is not a color I like, I realize that colors reduce properties, so can sometimes live with it (depending on the part). I could see wanting a warp-resistant PC but only if the bonding strength is better than what I saw with the other type of PC.

In general I am against 0.5KG spools due to my anxiety over running out of filament during a print. It doubles the waste at the end of the roll. Though I can see doing this when the product is new to get more people to try it.

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:56 pm

I agree on the .5kg spools. I would much rather have 1kg. Printing at a higher temp allows this stuff to layer bond well. I had no trouble with the bond at 265. It stuck great. Bond is far better than abs but maybe a hair under petg. As william said, the formula is a mixture of something else so the temp required ist as high as regular pc but it still is up there. Layer bonding, temp resistance and strength is far above abs. So far i still have nothing but good to say about the material itself. The clear really diesnt look bad but just a black ir white would be better.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:31 am

well my spool of epc has been sitting out on my printer for 3-4 days now and there has been no change in the printing properties. right now i dont have any signs of moisture absorption.

another note. DO NOT use the bed fan. with the bed fan this stuff does not layer bond at all. run at 265 no fan

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:39 am

How is the odor while printing?
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:40 am

no order at all. just like petg

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:50 am

Great! I placed an order for PETG from William at intservo.com and asked him if he could add a little sample of the EPC for me to try. I should be printing it this weekend.

I was watching a video about printing regular polycarbonate from another manufacturer and there were complaints about the smell, so I was concerned.

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:48 pm

Do you use the Esun filament cleaner when switching to and from PC?

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:03 pm

I dont.

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:41 pm

willnewton wrote:Do you use the Esun filament cleaner when switching to and from PC?
I haven't used my sample of polycarb from intservo yet, but I always use the cleaning filament when changing between two types of plastic, especially ones that run at different temperatures.

However, I have had minor issues with bits of the cleaning filament still coming out after I've started a print. Maybe I should be cooling the cleaning filament down a lot before pulling it. The smoothieboard firmware doesn't have any guards against extruding at low temperature, which I rather prefer. While it allows for the occasional stupidity, I haven't yet hosed any hardware by accidentally extruding while cold (I've only done it once, and only for 10mm, which didn't cause a jam). And it would allow me to go down to the lowest temperature for the cleaning filament. Or maybe it's best to pull the cleaning filament at room temp?

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:14 am

sorry will, i forgot all about you wanted this fff. just remember this is for the e3d and its setup for a .6 nozzle. im sure you'll have to tweak settings but its somewhere to start i guess.

esun polycarb.fff.zip
(2.71 KiB) Downloaded 567 times